Best Linux for the monitoring environment?

Hello, community,

I wanted to start a discussion on the topic

Best Linux for the monitoring environment please also explain why.

On our old environment we have SLES 11 which is not the real thing :frowning:

On the new environment I wanted to use Debian 10 but often we have performance problems.

Therefore the question in the round what you use so.

1 Like

We use Debian 10 without any performance issues (on real hardware).

We develop on Ubuntu, our appliance is Debian (now 9) based. So both are god choices from our point of view.
Real hardware is always a very good idea for monitoring and more important than the distro question.

1 Like

“god choices” sounds just a little over top to me, don’t you think @gulaschcowboy . :smiley:

I can add, that even on a CentOS 7 Setup there where no issues towards checkmk.
Although as I was told some time ago: If you want to develop checks yourself or use some piece of bleeding edge software Ubuntu might be your best choice.

1 Like

It was a typo, but I love my typo - will use it more often

3 Likes

You should use the Linux distro (from the supported ones, of course) that best fits into your existing environment (automation, backups, patch management, etc.) and that YOU are most familiar with. Or use the Checkmk appliance if you do not want to take care of a Linux system yourself.

We’re using Debian 10 on VMware vSphere, works fine for us.

laugh… yes that’s what i thought …

i think in our case i will put a second machine with ubuntu on

and I made a new clean Debian 10 installation and let both server run for compare.

The main problem is, I think, to get the additional packages to fit in.

We are using the appliance to avoid update problems and to have the build-in ha option.
Ralf

The hardware-appliance was also my wish, but unfortunately the management decided otherwise …

Hardware is always a nice solution, until you need to migrate, upgrade or expand. Using VMs can be tricky, but any critical system (monitoring, database, etc) on virtualization should be able to function without issues if there are enough resources available. The comment made by @martin.schwarz is the most sensible one. There is no point in “learning” a new OS, just for your monitoring system.
Yes it is linux, but the differences between Debian and Suse or any rpm-based distro are numerous. That said… SLES 11 is nowhere near recent, even with the Service Packs.

So make sure there are enough resources for your CheckMK VM, use a recent distro you are comfortable with, that also fits within your company strategy. (Or go with the CheckMK virtual appliances)

1 Like

I can speak for virtualization: we use Ubuntu 18.04 on Nutanix hardware with ESX 6.7.
VM has 128GB of memory and 24vCPUs, hosts 22k hosts and 160k services.
VM itself is runnign fine but checkmk is now having issues so we split it up in the upcoming days in 2 more Vms.