Best Practice to set up Checkmk (Tags & Groups)

Hello everyone,

I’m setting up the Checkmk again and I’m not sure which Host tags, Host & Service Groups and Contact Groups I should assign - hopefully I didn’t forget anything. :slight_smile:
Do you have “Best Practice” solutions with which you have made good experiences?
My system has 14 slaves and about 1000 hosts with 28000 services.

Best regards
Philipp

As a supplement:
My folders are organized by location, below that there is further nesting (e.g.: Location ->Server ->Windows). I have created the Contact Group Windows to bind the admins to their area of expertise.
For the different versions I have created host tags (e.g.: Win 2008R2) with appropriate auxiliary tags (Windows), so that a more exact assignment in rules is possible.
Is this useful or is a different structure better?

There really is no “best practice” when it comes to host tags because an IT infrastructure is always quite individual.

Use host tags when you need to configure parameters on hosts and services that cannot be easily done with folders. Only create host tags if you really need them.

Before creating a new rule always ask yourself: Can I use a regex on hostnames or do I need a new tag or is there an existing tag that can be used for classification.

3 Likes

Thanks, for youre answer.
I will try to keep it simple :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.