Change Monitoring Server hostname

Hi

I have a test setup of Check_MK V2 and want to change the hostname of the server, is this possible?
I know how to do this on the server, but not sure how it will affect Check_MK?
EG.
Current hostname myserver-test.mydomain.com
Change to myserver.mydomain.com

Hi @Blue_Sky,

i think changing the hostname of the checkmk server is no problem for checkmk itself, but there are a few things you might take a look at (not all may apply depending on your configuration) :

• If you use TLS Certificates to secure the webinterface, create a new one for the new servername and configure apache accordingly
  • Take a look at your mailserver ( e.g. postfix) configuration if the old name is in use there
  • If you use the agent bakery with automatic agent updates, you will have to edit the agent updater rule and bake / rollout the new agents before switching to the new host name
  • If clients are configured to send syslog or snmp messages to the old dns name instead of the ip you will have to edit those
  • If any third party apps like e.g. grafana access your checkmk, you will have to edit those, too

For the migration timeframe and an easier migration it is easily possible to create two DNS entries that point to the same i.p. address.

Andre

1 Like

Hi

Many thanks, think only the only I need to check is mailserver all others do not apply
and SSL is a domain wildcard SSL.

Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.