Changing SNMP "snmpbulkwalk" Paramters for Certain Hosts

Have an interesting issue that I’d like to know if anyone has run into. We have a F5 load balancer device that can connect on SNMP for monitoring purposes, but always times out. It’s doing a whole lot of stuff, so there’s a lot that returns on SNMP here, I’m expecting a discovery could produce upwards of 100 services.

That said, the discovery and check_mk service always time out. Upon looking at the snmpbulkwalk commands on a debug, it always fails on this command:

‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v2c -c K2AWyUHqkFf5mCxS -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot 10.100.48.30 .1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.2.5.3.2.1.1’

The key to this is the -Cr10, for a max repetitions of 10 for the run. When I reduce this number to 8 on the command line (-Cr8), the bulk walk runs perfectly.

So, with that in mind, I have a path to make this check run ok, but how do I get check_mk’s own discovery to use -Cr8 as opposed to -Cr10 for this host?

That’s interesting. We had the exact same problem with our F5s: bulkwalk with the default bulksize of 10 resulted in a timeout while a size of 5 worked. I didn’t try 9 or 8. Maybe that would work, too.

Either way, I added a rule WATOHost & Service ParametersAccess to AgentsBulk walk: Number of OIDs per bulk and set it to 5 for my F5 devices.

2 Likes

This worked like a champ! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.