Check-mk agents migration

Hi Everyone,
Currently i’m using the check_mk Version 1.4.0p25.cre for monitoring , and i have planned to upgrade the check_mk to Version 2.1.0p10.cre . Is there any possibilities or way to migrate the entire agents and data from old version to new version without any impact ?? If anyone done this successfully or tried before kindly share your inputs .

Hi.

The question is at this poit: Do you want to do this in the existing monitoring intance or in a new one.
If you will do this in the existing one, that will be a hard way.
I would like to prefer to setup a new instance with version 2.1, export the hosts via old api or csv files, and import the host with the new API.
It’s a lot of work in both scenarios, but the advantage of a new one is, you will loose your overhead.

RG, Christian

1 Like

Thanks for the update!!

Dear Christian
Do we have any documentation or any article for this request , also i wanted to check on the hardware related hosts, physical servers and storage device , ESXI in the new version . Kindly suggest or help .

You can find a good documentation on the checkmk homepage here.

Have a special look at this written there:

Update the Checkmk version

Before updating to version 2.1.0, the Checkmk site must have version 2.0.0 installed.

We have previously advised against omitting an intermediate major version when performing a major update, as there are simply too many changes in between that will hinder a smooth update and almost certainly cause problems. With [Werk #13320](https://checkmk.com/werk/13320), this recommendation has now been made into a requirement — and a lock introduced that prevents, for example, a direct update from version 1.6.0 to 2.1.0.

An update to version 2.1.0 does not currently require a specific 2.0.0 patch version. However, again, there are good reasons to start the jump to 2.1.0 only from the latest 2.0.0 patch version, since, for example, a 2.0.0 patch may contain fixes that make it easier to update to version 2.1.0.

For this reason, we recommend updating Checkmk to the latest 2.0.0 patch version first, and only then updating to the 2.1.0.