Check_mk Discovery UNKN-check failed after 1.6.0p30 installed

Hi I am experiencing some check_mk discovery check failed on some hosts after installing 1.6.0p30 in the nodes.

Has anyone come across this and know a fix for it

Thanks

Hi @stevenp and welcome to the forum.

Can you please provide a bit more info on your problem so people can actually help you?
Maybe a screenshot, some details on the services or the output of cmk --debug -vv -I yourserver123 command.

Can I also ask you why are you still using the 1.6.0.p30 version? Newer versions maybe already fixed your problem and the 1.6 is technically end of life since 2022-09-09.

Regards
Norm

Hi Norm
This is the output of the debug:

cmk --debug -vv node76
Check_mk version 1.2.6p12
Connecting via TCP to 10.10.1.111:6556.
User spigatto cannot write to /var/lib/check_mk/counters/node76: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/check_mk/counters/node76'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/check_mk/modules/check_mk.py", line 5786, in <module>
    exit_status = do_check(hostname, ipaddress, check_types)
  File "/usr/share/check_mk/modules/check_mk_base.py", line 1106, in do_check
    save_counters(hostname)
  File "/usr/share/check_mk/modules/check_mk_base.py", line 961, in save_counters
    raise MKGeneralException("User %s cannot write to %s: %s" % (username(), filename, e))
__main__.MKGeneralException: User spigatto cannot write to /var/lib/check_mk/counters/node76: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/check_mk/counters/node76'

We are doing reworks around our infrastructure and we will be looking at new versions sometime in the coming months.

Hi @stevenp,
thanks for sharing more data but I still struggle to make sense out of it. :sweat_smile:

It clearly says you are using Check_mk version 1.2.6p12. I just tested it on my system and it always shows me the installed Checkmk Server version. Are you sure you that you are on the right site?

The other error messages are related to wrong user permissions. That means your site user (spigatto?) got no permissions to write into the needed directories.

From your provided information I can’t see that you are running version 1.6.0p30. It looks like a really old installation of Checkmk because the paths are also very different to mine.
Can you please verify that and come back with some feedback?

Thanks in advance!

Norm

Hey Norm.
Thanks for getting back to me. I only have a couple having this issue, otherwise everything is all good with the upgrade.
Please see screenshot showing that the version of the check_mk installed

Hey @stevenp

thanks for giving more information.

The installed Agent version is a 1.6.0p33 but from the other information you provided shows that your Checkmk Server is still running on 1.2.6p12.

Your problem is that your old Checkmk Server (1.2.6p12.) can’t deal with the newer Agent Output (1.6.0p33) and thus crash.

You can provide the crash report if you want but you should really thinking about updating your Checkmk Server asap. :slight_smile:

Regards
Norm

Hi Norm
Thanks for the reply.
The server was updated before updates pushed out onto agents
Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 10.08.32 am

Would a restart on the agent on the node possible help refresh?

Hi Norm

This is the debug I get:
Check_mk version 1.2.6p12
Connecting via TCP to 10.10.1.111:6556.
OK - Agent version 1.6.0p30, execution time 1.6 sec|execution_time=1.559 user_time=0.280 system_time=0.040 children_user_time=0.000 children_system_time=0.000

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.