Check_MK Windows agent service installation on commandline fails on Server 2016

Hi all
i just discovered by accident that the agent’s service installation fails when logged on as local admin, opening cmd and calling the agent.exe with the /install command on Server 2016: it simply does not work.
We have a software distribution system that distributes the agent within a special package (and executing exactly this command within the delivery process): there it works, the .msi installer also works when called manually.
I only discovered this by accident when checking systems that do not get the agent automatically. I suppose this has something to do with elevated rights but i am logged on as local admin and even tried the option to start cmd with administrative rights.
I guess this might be the same with Server2019 but i havent tried yet.
We still use the 1.5p20 and the 1.6p8 legacy agent
In Server 2012R the /install switch works.

BR
Thomas

Do you ve open the cmd with open als local admin option?
Ralf

I’m pretty sure this is true, do not install using the .exe (someday this should be removed). I know earlier in the 1.6.0 days it didn’t do the right thing. We switched to installing using the .msi.

(was told that was the only way it could work)

1 Like

Hi
usin g the MSI is not an option.
I just tried in on Server 2012R2: works like a charm.
@rprengel: i am logged on via AD as a user with local admin rights, and i even start the cmd with administrative rights.

BR Thomas

This is the only supported option for the actual agent i think.
Why is this not an option in your system?

Hi Andreas
we use Managesoft to install software and update our systems (ca 3500 in total).
The managesoft package i have is not based on the msi but on the exe itself with the install option.
We are still on 1.5 with the agent, i am just prparing the 1.6 for rollout.
I was just wondering why until 2012R2 everything worked and with 2016 it doesn’t
As it turned out this has indeed to do with elevated rights, a have a bunch servers where “Run as admin” with the cmd does not work, but it turned out today that this is the minority. The majority works with the levated cmd.

BR

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.