CheckMK distributed Monitoring with centralized configuration - Make slave standalone

Hi guys,

we are using CRE 2.0.0p21 distributed Monitoring and some connected slave sites with centralized configuration.

In this article it is described how to connect standalone CheckMK sites to distributed Monitoring and centralized configuration:

But now we have the opposite case that we need to disconnect one slave site and make this site standalone.

How can we disconnect one slave site, make it standalone, and keep the configuration (hosts) for this site? What would be the best practice how to?

Best regards

Tobias

Hi,
if you use CRE or CEE for distributed monitoring, then the entire configuration of the central site is automatically transferred to the remote site. You should have the configuration on the remote site.

Karl

Hi Karl,

alright. That means the following steps should work:

Activate Wato Config on the slave site if this was disabled from the master
Login to the slave site and create a new cmkadmin
Disable Livestatus with omd config
Disable or delete the slave site on the master in the distributed monitoring section
Site should be useable standalone

I am going to try this in 2 months. I can keep you posted if this works.

Regards
Tobias

The order was not correct, this is the right order:

Activate Wato Config on the slave site if this was disabled from the master
Disable Livestatus with omd config
Login to the slave site and create a new cmkadmin
Disable or delete the slave site on the master in the distributed monitoring section
Site should be useable standalone
Keep in mind that on the site are still all users and hosts from the main site which may be deleted manually then

Any advise to do this with version 2.1?

I am not able to delete the old remote site in the central site as I first have to remove all hosts assigned to this site. But then I try to remove those hosts on the central site, it removes them from my remote site (but I still want to have them there).
I tried to disable config push to remote site → not able to delete hosts on central site.
I tried to “misconfigure” the remote site url in central site distributed monitoring → deletion of hosts did not work as connection to remote site failed.

I want to use the old remote site as standalone with all existing hosts.
I want to use the central site without the hosts from the removed remote site.

Edit: after deleting the site in etc/check_mk/multisite.d/sites.mk I was able to delete the hosts and cleanup.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.