I have a rhetoric question for MK architects:
Why you forget about enterprise users which bring the main income?
- Secrets handling is absent.
- All passwords stored in clear text in configuration( which prevents usage of IaC approach)
- Passwords accessible in GUI by ‘inspect’ for users with access to WATO
- No handling secrets handling in exceptions - it just throws your secret to alert
Since you introduced the “password management” feature(which still using clear-text passwords) why not to implement integrations with hashicorp vault for example?
- Plugin development:
- Your mistake in the plugin can break all instances. So one typo can cause long downtime, since cmk -X is useless, and you have just a KeyError: ‘sql_function’ and no info what causes this.
- Documentation - Publishing docs after release - ok then we just wasted time for migration after beta.
- Examples of new v2 approach - probably just missed them.
- Activation - Do you really need 30 seconds and reload core in 2021 to apply changes?
From strong sides:
- Performance 4CPU&8GB RAM is enough for more than 1000 hosts.
- Many things are ready out of the box
- simple update process(But not available through UI)
- local checks/ simple active checks scripts(with command line arguments)
From my perspective, there is only one reason to upgrade to v2 - python3. And often that reason would not enough for old complicated installations.
I would ask to share a community opinion, I am curious how that article corresponds to others.