CMK Check and Discovery errors I cant make out

I have just started to use CheckMK and the first host I setup was my promox server. I installed the agent on promox and set it up. Using cmk_agent status shows its operational. In CMK I have two errors for discovered and Check that I have no idea what its trying to say. I am using the Automation user to connect the agent to the server. Could you help me understand whats happening here?

[agent] Success, [special_proxmox_ve] Agent exited with code 1: Caught unhandled ConnectionError(HTTPSConnectionPool(host='hlsvr', port=8006): Max retries exceeded with url: /api2/json/access/ticket (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fdd8223f3a0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known'))) in /omd/sites/Laclie/lib/python3/cmk/special_agents/utils/agent_common.py:135CRIT, execution time 2.2 sec
22 unmonitored services (tcp_conn_stats:1, df:1, cpu_threads:1, mounts:2, lnx_if:11, kernel_performance:1, systemd_units_services_summary:1, postfix_mailq_status:1, diskstat:1, chrony:1, postfix_mailq:1)WARN, no vanished services found, no new host labels, [special_proxmox_ve] Agent exited with code 1: Caught unhandled ConnectionError(HTTPSConnectionPool(host='hlsvr', port=8006): Max retries exceeded with url: /api2/json/access/ticket (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7f8c4d3793a0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known'))) in /omd/sites/Laclie/lib/python3/cmk/special_agents/utils/agent_common.py:135CRIT

I do have a number of sensors at the moment that are in undecided state. Wasnt sure if I wanted to use them or not yet.

Hi @mkono87,

There is something wrong with your API-calls against host. I am not familiar with promox and how to monitor but it seems like it could be monitored by a special agent (mostly appliances) and via agent (on-prem). I guess you have configured both methods and the host is now complaining about not to reach promox via the special agent which mostly needs some dedicated configuration.
Can you please show us you host configuration (especially the monitoring method)?

Also please make sure that your host ‘hlsvr’ is reachable on port ‘8006’ if you like to use the special agent.
Sharing the rule for the promox configuration could also be helpful.

Hopefully I can give you the best info I can since Im still new to how checkmk works.

So first, port 8006 is the default promox port for accessing the UI for one. I have downloaded the cmk-agent deb and installed it on proxmox and then registered it with cmk.

Connection: 192.168.30.4:8000/Laclie
UUID: 050e5dc7-3e2d-46dc-89b2-15459881e01b
Local:
Connection type: pull-agent
Certificate issuer: Site ‘Laclie’ local CA
Certificate validity: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 00:51:48 +0000 - Tue, 23 Jan 3021 00:51:48 +0000
Remote:
Connection type: pull-agent
Registration state: operational
Host name: HLSVR

On CMK, for the host config…

I had port enabled with defaults to 8006 and I also tried do disable SSL verification with no luck.

1 Like

The normal agent part looks fine and you get data.
On my own Proxmox system i have the config like this.

The password itself is a API token generated inside the Proxmox GUI.

Do you get any vm information. It does say, "special agent proxmox ve being the issue so I thought it was that built in agent.

What you can do to get nearer to the real problem is a “cmk -D HLSVR” on the command line. There you get a line with the call for the proxmox special agent.
This command can be executed manually as site user.
I think in your case also the “SSL certificate validation” can be the problem.

This URI “/api2/json/access/ticket” is the first one called. If you get there already the error message then it is very likely a certificate problem.

Okay it seemed to be an issue with hostname for sure so I wiped it and started over and its working well now. I thought I would have gotten more services listed once the special_agent started working. Do you get info on VMs and LXC containers?

If you have a object inside CMK with exactly the same name as in your Proxmox then you will see some services there.

On my Proxmox servers i see all the ZFS subvols and the following three services

On the VMs/LXC i have this

VM

LXC - only the Disk Usage is here more than on the VM

Sorry dude not sure I quite follow with obkect. Do you mean hostname? Yeah dont have any of that info, just a list of interfaces for each instance then overall cpu, memory and disk info

If your configuration of the special agent works you should see the first three services on your Proxmox host itself.
For LXC and VM services you need to create a host with exactly the name as inside Proxmox.
You can have a look on your system at the folder “~/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/”. There inside you find names of hosts that the system has data for from different sources (special agents).
The concept behind this piggyback data is described here.

How can achive your situation? i have my proxmox host monitored, piggyback configured and working but no info about snapshot, backup and ZFS

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.