Copy hosts configuration from one site to another

Hello

So I’m facing an issue right now. I managed to create a new site with an upgraded version of Check_MK and it runs smoothly, but I’m having problems copying all the hosts checks from the current site to the upgraded one. To be more specific, I have around 160 hosts that need to be moved to the new instance but I cannot find a simple way to do this.
What I will try to do is to copy all the contents from /omd/sites/mysite/etc/check_mk/conf.d/wato to the same path on the new instance. Can someone tell me if that is enough or I should do more than that?

Thanks in advance !

The config file format changed from version 1.5 to 1.6.

Do you really just need the hosts? You could export the “All hosts” view to CSV (buttom at the bottom) and do a bulk import into the new site.

Do you also need all the other settings like check parameters etc? Then you are better off with updating your site. If you need your updated site to run on another server you omd backup and omd restore to transfer it.

1 Like

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention the fact that I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.5.
And yes, I will need to export all the existing checks ( I also have some custom ones ) and all the other configurations. I will try with omd backup / restore.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

omd restore only works if the same checkmk version is installed.
You need to run omd update to get your current site “up to speed”.

When coming from 1.2 you should make a stopover at version 1.4 and then update to 1.5.

1 Like

I understand but right now I cannot update 1.2 since that is my main configuration and I don’t want to risk damiging the checks over there for whatever reason :s. Isn’t there a way to copy the checks and the other configs that are now on the site that runs 1.2 to the site that runs 1.5 without running any kind of modifications on the main site (the one that runs 1.2) ?

The only practical way I know and @r.sander also told you is the omd update way.

One suggestion from my site how you can do it without touching your running site.
Make a backup of you running site, restore it to a new machine and then do the 1.4 and 1.5 upgrade on this copied site. If all runs well you can switch to this site as the new main instance and shutdown the old one.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.