Creating new hosts for remote sites

Hi Forum,

I’ve recently started using CheckMK and currently working on a PoC to see if we can implement CheckMK at our Company.

Currently i’m wondering if i’m doing something the correct way or that i’m missing something.

I have a Central site and 1 remote site currently in a MSP config as we would be running MSP configs for our customers. It all works as expected however i’m wondering about this:

When you add a host to the central local site, you add the host, then save this config (without activating) and then go to a host (windows server for example) and then register the agent and do your service discovery etc and activate the config last.

When I add a host on the central site but set it as a host for a remote site, I have to activate the config first on the remote site before i can register the agent on the windows host. Otherwise the agent registration fails that the host isn’t known to the (remote) site.

However, in the time it takes between activating the config to make the host known and installing/registering the agent on the host and setting up the services. CheckMK will report errors on the host (unhandled problems) so colleagues who dont know you’re doing something will try to act on it.

Is it somehow possible to push the config to the remote site but without activating it? So that the host is known but you can do your config on the new host before actually activating it? Or is there a better way to add new hosts to the remote site? I’m just trying to prevent the false error/problem messages.

At least until 1.6 it was possible to register a host even that it was not known in the configuration. We are doing usually a mass roll out of the agent including automatic registration and the step by step adding the host to the monitoring later. If that will not work in Versions beyond 1.6 it would be a big disadvantage.

I think this is not about the agent updater but the registration for TLS.

There is a possibility to do a “proxy registration”: Monitoring Linux - The new agent for Linux in detail

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.