Creating site on OEL8 throws a traceback

I’ve installed check-mk-enterprise-2.1.0p17.x86_64 on Oracle Enterprise Linux 8. When I try to create a new site I get the traceback show below. I am currently using checkmk for other sites using OEL7. Is there any hope to fix this or will I have to downgrade?

Thanks for any input.

[root@dubuqqcmk01p ~]# omd create jack                                                                                                                                                         15:43:56 [20/1808]
Adding /opt/omd/sites/jack/tmp to /etc/fstab.                                                                                                                                                                    Creating temporary filesystem /omd/sites/jack/tmp...OK                                                                                                                                                           Updating core configuration...                                                                                                                                                                                   Generating configuration for core (type cmc)...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   WARNING: The number of configured checkers is higher than the number of available CPUs. To avoid unnecessary context switches, the number of checkers should be limited to the number of CPUs. Recommended number of checkers: 2                                                                                                                                                                                                  Starting full compilation for all hosts Creating global helper config...OK                                                                                                                                        Creating cmc protobuf configuration...OK                                                                                                                                                                        Executing post-create script "01_create-sample-config.py"...                                                                                                                                                     -| Traceback (most recent call last):                                                                                                                                                                            -|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/omd/scripts/post-create/01_create-sample-config.py", line 15, in <module>                                                                                                         -|     from cmk.gui import main_modules, watolib                                                                                                                                                                 -|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/gui/main_modules.py", line 20, in <module>                                                                                                                            -|     import cmk.gui.plugins.main_modules  # noqa: F401 # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module,unused-import                                                                                                       -|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/gui/plugins/main_modules/__init__.py", line 9, in <module>                                                                                                            -|     load_plugins(__file__, __package__)                                                                                                                                                                       -|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/utils/plugin_loader.py", line 123, in load_plugins                                                                                                                    -|     importlib.import_module("%s.%s" % (package_name, plugin_name))                                                                                                                                            -|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3.9/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module                                                                                                                      -|     return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
-|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/gui/plugins/main_modules/cre.py", line 10, in <module>
-|     import cmk.gui.bi
-|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/gui/bi.py", line 27, in <module>
-|     import cmk.gui.watolib as watolib
-|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/gui/watolib/__init__.py", line 59, in <module>
-|     import cmk.gui.userdb as userdb
-|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/gui/userdb.py", line 41, in <module>
-|     from cmk.gui.plugins.userdb.ldap_connector import MKLDAPException
-|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3/cmk/gui/plugins/userdb/ldap_connector.py", line 46, in <module>
-|     import ldap  # type: ignore[import]
-|   File "/omd/sites/jack/lib/python3.9/site-packages/ldap/__init__.py", line 34, in <module>
-|     import _ldap
-| ImportError: /lib64/libk5crypto.so.3: undefined symbol: EVP_KDF_ctrl, version OPENSSL_1_1_1b
ERROR (exit code: 1)
Restarting Apache...OK
Created new site jack with version 2.1.0p17.cee.

The site can be started with omd start jack.
  The default web UI is available at http://dubuqqcmk01p/jack/

# cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Oracle Linux Server"
VERSION="8.6"
ID="ol"
ID_LIKE="fedora"
VARIANT="Server"
VARIANT_ID="server"
VERSION_ID="8.6"
PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8"
PRETTY_NAME="Oracle Linux Server 8.6"
ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:oracle:linux:8:6:server"
HOME_URL="https://linux.oracle.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.oracle.com/"

ORACLE_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Oracle Linux 8"
ORACLE_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.6
ORACLE_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Oracle Linux"
ORACLE_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.6

Sorry for the poorly formatted output. I used the preformat tag but it spread the output all over the place.

What does the output of the following comma f looks like :

rpm -qa|grep -i mk

$ rpm -qa | grep mk
oddjob-mkhomedir-0.34.7-2.el8.x86_64
check-mk-enterprise-2.1.0p17-el7-38.x86_64

Also

$ rpm -qa | grep ^openssl
openssl-1.1.1k-7.el8_6.x86_64
openssl-libs-1.1.1k-7.el8_6.x86_64

Looks like an openssl version mismatch but I’m not sure how to get around it. I’ve seen where other folks have installed checkmk successfully on OEL8 so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Isn´t the -el7- in the rpm name of the checkmk package an indicator for the package to be installed on EL 7 and should be -el8- ?
As in check-mk-enterprise-2.1.0p17-el8-38.x86_64.rpm ?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s for OEL8

openssl-libs-1.1.1k-7 <dot> el8_6.x86_64

I’m happy to be incorrect if it gets me closer to making this work.

You have installed a wrong package on OEL8. The package should be el8. It’s a classic. Happens to me often when I switch from CentOS 7 to Rocky/Alma8.

Have a look at the name of the file:
wget --user={USERNAME} https://download.checkmk.com/checkmk/2.1.0p17/check-mk-enterprise-2.1.0p17-el8-38.x86_64.rpm --ask-password

1 Like

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I’m quite embarrassed that I didn’t catch that. Our main checkmk installation is OEL 7 so I just copied the package to the OEL8 instance without thinking.

Installation was successful and I was able to create a site.

Apologies for cluttering up this space with this nonsense.

Thanks very much for all the help…

1 Like

All good. No problem.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.