Deprecation of the Service Tags feature

As long service tags are not same implemented like host tags we at least cannot use it like we want to.

In Detail:

• Matching: All matching rules will add to the resulting list. … and having not default tag like for host tags means that multiple tags of same “key” will be added
  • A column in a view cannot be set to show only a certain tag - it will always show all tags
2 Likes

Is there a quick way to search for service tags? Looking to see if anyone in my org deployed them. I have a feeling the answer is yes.

@BH2005
tags vs. labels - different story :wink:

Since the service tags were never properly implemented, it is probably not so easy to answer this question. Maybe the “Tag usage” view can help you.

…/wato.py?folder=&mode=tag_usage

But this view only shows if and where which tags are used. It does not distinguish between host and service tags.

Update: I have just noticed that the view also lists the service tags but apparently does not evaluate where these are used :frowning:

1 Like

I am happy to hear that Tribe29 have decided to keep the status quo of service tags for now.

The Service Tag Feature Request is listed among the top 25 of 570 Feature Requests and has received already more votes than half of all the Feature Requests marked as “planned” and “implemented” – in just one month

Where does this leave the “we understand what our customers need, and we’re working on the features that matter most to them”?

2 Likes

We will evaluate it, when we do the detailed planning for Checkmk 2.3. So, we will consider it as we will consider all other highly voted features in the roadmapping process.

1 Like

pls do reconsider tnx

1 Like

Better late than never…
Having set many Host Tags (listed under Custom Attributes) within several hosts and rulesets based on these tags in Checkmk v2.0… I am so glad to hear that there is no impact or changes in v2.2.

However, when I do import Hosts via CSV (WATO) with these tag’s values, it fails to import the tags that were already created. Is the feature still available or tags are no longer accepted when importing in v2.0?

This was regarding Service tags, not Host tags.
Host tags are a well established concept in Checkmk and we see no reason to do any changes. There is no reason for anything to stop working as it did before. If it did, please create a support ticket or ask that in a seperate thread here in the forum.

Service tags are an entirely different thing and the history of them has been shared in this thread.

3 Likes