- You got a switch with 10Gbps ports.
- For some reason however, you are limited to using 1Gbps modules for one or more of those links.
- A full discovery will take note of those 1Gbps modules. Now, all is ok.
- You come later with 10Gbps modules replacing the previous 1Gbps ones.
- Service alert triggered, partial alert text: “Speed: 10 GBit/s (expected: 1 GBit/s)WARN”
- You are happy for having better speed, but sad because the alert was triggered.
- You have to remove the service from monitoring for each changed port, then do a full rescan, then add the newly rediscovered services that now have a 10Gbps speed parameter.
Possible new scenario:
5. check_mk discovers a greater NIC speed is negotiated, displays a one click prompt for service parameter reconfiguration for speed from 1Gbps to 10Gbps.
6. You click that, apply the change(s), get a fresh cup of tea and enjoy having to press less buttons.
Ideas? Too easy, too hard? Is perhaps something like this already in place?