ERROR - you did an active check on this service - please disable active checks

Hey there, I got a lot of these warnings the last couple of days in my Checkmk raw 1.6.0p18 instance:

ERROR - you did an active check on this service - please disable active checks

It happens with several Windows hosts and different services. For example Service, Task and File checks. Agent versions are 1.6.0p18 and 1.4.0p26.
The state seems to be volatile as it changes from OK to WARN multiple times in a few minutes.
I for myself did not touch the Checkmk server, there was no thing like a reboot or update which I could identify as root cause for those errors.

I found some topics with this exact error message but none of them was helpful or sufficiently answered.
I already tried to restart the omd site, restart the agents, did a WATO inventory automatic refresh (tabula rasa) and full scan.

Do you guys have any idea?

Someone issues an “Activate active checks” command to your passive services.
The only way to solve this issue ist to select all normally passive service, then disable active checks on these.
After this step the error should not occur anymore.

Hi Andreas, thanks for your reply.

I created two rules for disabling active checks but that did not help.

Rule 1: Host name is A, Service name begins with “Task”, Disable active checks
Result: Half of the hosts Task checks is OK, half is WARN.

Rule 2: Host name is b, Service name is not Check_MK, Disable active checks
Result: Half of the hosts File checks is OK, half is WARN.

The state seems to be unsteady. The checks which are WARN at the moment could change back to OK in a few minutes while others switch from OK to WARN.

What would suddenly cause this behaviour? And why would it be necessary to change things that worked fine forever since? I’m pretty confused…

These rules will not help. It is not a problem with wrong configured rules.
What i mean is that someone used the “hammer” icon to issue a command to activate active checks to your services. Now you can only also use the “hammer” icon to issue the command to deactivate the active checks on these services.

1 Like

Awesome, I used the “clear modified attributes” button from your screenshot and everything is back to normal. Probably one of my coworkers missclicked somehow while trying to start a downtime…

Thanks a lot :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.