Exporting config for upgrade

We have finally got round to moving off check_mk raw 1.4 and moving to 1.6, we aren’t doing an in situ upgrade, new servers, installs and sites have been stood up. What I can’t figure out is how to migrate everything, for example we have a large number of HTTP checks running, they seem to be stored under the host config in check_mk_objects.cfg so can I effectively just copy and paste them in to the new file on the new server? We also have Business Intelligence aggregates set up, they need to moved as it would be a lot of work to reconfigure those…

I can only find reference to in situ upgrade or a full migration, we don’t want to bring everything across, so any pointers, or things to watch out for would be much appreciated.

All your configurations should be located under your site user etc/check_mk/conf.d/wato
There you should find your http checks and the configuration you need.

I would ask first why you don’t want to do the normal upgrade process?
What you want to do is not easy and very risky to loose some data or configuration.

Short answer, the system was badly set up initially and has just turned in to a sprawling mess. It was decided by the team which own the system that rather than tidy up they wanted to start afresh, I however don’t want to have to migrate all my work manually!

Thanks Marass, is it OK though to just copy and paste the bits I want?

you should test it on a test site first. You need to be aware of the internal format of the files and of your needed hosts/tags/groups for your rules.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.