Extreme Switches and Interface service descriptions

I think the easiest way is to use the interface index. Only a number but better than your “description”. Second option give all interfaces an alias.

I for my part use most of the time the interface name + a short description as alias and this in turn as service item. Like

Gi0/0/01 - AccessPort
Gi0/0/02 - not used/shutdown
Gi0/0/32 - Server01
Te1/1/1 - Uplink

This way I can also add interface rules based on the item name → AccessPort → dont care about up/down.

If you like you can also have a look at my CheckMK / Vendor independent / if64name · GitLab if64 extension. This could have some disadvantages as the “disable snmp sections” is only honored by the service discovery but not by the normal check run.

With the CheckMK / Vendor independent / Inventory / Interface name · GitLab inventory extension you can add the interface name to the inventory and check if this is better for you.

On one of the Extrem switches (X670G2-48x-4q) here the name is just the stacknumber:portnumber → 1:1, 1:2, and so on

@martin.hirschvogel In the end I would like to see the if64 check extended by adding the interface name to the options available. As far as I know @andreas-doehler has already done that but not published.

2 Likes