FIle system Alert / Notifications

Hi,

I have file system alerting set to magic factor excluding the C:

My question / Query I have ;

When a C: breaches the 90% used threshold, I get an email notification stating C: is critical which is excellent and by design.

However for example ;

13/01/23 @ 10:00am

I get an email notification - ServerA C: 90.52% used (54.22 of 59.90 GB, warn/crit at 85.00%/90.00%)

13/01/23 @10:52am
I get another email notification - ServerA C: 90.05% used (53.94 of 59.90 GB, warn/crit at 85.00%/90.00%)CRIT , trend: -202.91 MB / 24 hours

Why do multiple alerts generate for the same server C: when the threshold has breached already? is it because the used space has decreased but still in the critical threshold?

Is there a way that it doesn’t re alert once its hit the critical threshold? unless the C: usage changes to fall in the warning threshold or the alert clears?

It wouldn’t be such a problem, however I am going to integrate checkMK with our ticketing system next month, and I do not want multiple tickets logged for the same server and file system each time the usage fluctuates within the critical threshold.

Hope this make sense.

Are you sure that this did not happen? Have you checked the service’s history?

Have you configured “periodic notifications” for this service?

I am not saying it did not happen, sorry. What i am saying is once its hit the 90% threshold and alerts, i don’t want it to email me every time a few MB’s changes the % within the critical threshold. i.e from 91% - 90% - 92% - 91 %.

Periodic notifications during service problems are set to a blanket 10080.00 minutes is this why its causing multiple emails when the usage changes and it is hasn’t been acknowledged yet?

This would only happen with periodic notifications.

But you are getting the second notification after 52 minutes and not 7 days.

You should look into the history of the service. This usually shows why a new notification has been made.

That makes sense.

For the culprit “serverA” it appears its continuous flapping from critical to warning which explains that one.

What has made me over look it as i have notifications only for any > critical so going from the emails it looked like it just kept re alerting as critical due to the usage change, when in fact it is going from critical > warning then warning > critical at a new usage!

Thanks @r.sander

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.