Hosts show Check_MK service for SNMP monitoring as "CRIT" "Null"

CheckMK 2.1.0p6
Ubuntu 18.04.6

Good afternoon CheckMK community,

In regards to the latest build, I noticed some of the hosts I’m only monitoring via SNMP through ping checks are now showing the Check_MK service in a “CRIT” state.

I’m assuming since upgrading from 1.6.0p9 to 2.1.x there are some changes/additional steps required to alleviate this, but just not sure where that would be either in the rulesets or parameter settings for this check.

Here is an example of the issue:

Any help is always greatly appreciated. Looking forward to breaking in the new 2.1 platform and seeing what features were added.

Hi,
Same happen to me after updating from check_mk 2.0 RAW to check_mk 2.1 RAW.
On all hosts using SNMP have also check_MK service as critical, even on the host is set agent type: Legacy: Legacy SNMP device (using V1)

pfff… I can’t convince check_mk to not add service Check_mk to hosts even I have choose agent type “no agent” or even “only ping”. After update from 2.0 to 2.1 , check_mk went crazy.
Could someone help me. Thank you!

Honestly I ended up rolling back to the stable 2.0 release (think it was p22 or something) since 2.1 seems to be a work in progress. (almost overheated my test lab laptop)

Make sure you have “no snmp” and “no agent” configured for the host to only do ping checks, this should clear up the CRIT or WARN state if its in one.

Hi,
Thank you for your advice.
I have tried to delete the entire folder having hosts where check was only ping and then create the folder again and populated with hosts. After that the settings “Legacy:Only ping this device” was working and I didn’t see any service Check_MK null on all hosts from the folder.
But when I have a folder where I declare at least SNMP, the service Check_MK apear on host as critical, even I choose “Legacy:Only ping this device”.
This version 2.1-p10 of Check_MK is not working properly.
Whatever rule I will set in order to ignore/disable check_mk service from hosts where I need only ping, is not applicable. Is ignored by Check_MK server.
Probably I will take your advice and roll back to version 2.0.
Thank you!

The “Legacy” setting should not exists in 2.1 please take a look at you host tag definition. You should see there a message that this an obsolete/faulty tag entry since 1.6.
The Check_MK service must appear if you set something different than “no agent” and “no snmp”.
If one of booth settings have anything else than the “no” setting the service must be there.

Before the upgrade where started not all old obsolete settings where removed.

Hi,
Good point about tags.
The server has been updated from check_mk 1.6 to 2.0, then finally to 2.1.
May be something has been remained from the past.
This are the tags from hosts where I have service Check_MK:
address_family:ip-v4-only
agent:snmp-tcp
criticality:prod
ip-v4:ip-v4
networking:lan
piggyback:no-piggyback
site:xxxxx
snmp:snmp
snmp_ds:snmp-v2
tcp:tcp
I have created another folder where I will create all those hosts, but I will not set anything concerning SNMP, the check for SNMP will be using a rule.
Here are the tags from hosts from the new folder:
address_family:ip-v4-only
agent:ping
criticality:prod
ip-v4:ip-v4
networking:lan
piggyback:no-piggyback
site:omdeea
snmp_ds:no-snmp
The only difference is the tag agent:ping
Because of this, service check_mk does not appear on the host.
So either I will install from scrach version 2.1 and the import the backup or I will create the folder from scrach and add again all hosts where I have that issue. I will see!
Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.