How to download latest version of MK programatically

Hey guys,
I saw there are several posts here asking for a way to check if there is a new version of Checkmk available. @thl-cmk already created a plugin to do this, but that relies on the page checkmk.com/download. We can’t promise that the structure of that page never changes, in fact it did change this week when we released Checkmk 2.1.0.

Because of this I have created a JSON file that contains the latest version of each of the major versions that we currently support. This file is being created every 5 minutes and is publicly available on https://download.checkmk.com/stable_downloads.json

This is just the first version, I have consulted with @thl-cmk on content of the file, but if you would like to see changes in the information available in the file, send me a message.

The current structure is as follows:

{
    "version": 1,
    "checkmk": {
        "2.1.0": {
            "version": "2.1.0",
            "release_date": 1653379969,
            "class": "stable",
            "editions": {
                "cme": {
                },
                "cre": {
                },
                "cfe": {
                },
                "cee": {
                }
            }
        },
        "2.0.0": {
            "version": "2.0.0p25",
            "release_date": 1653503541,
            "class": "oldstable",
            }
        },
        "1.6.0": {
            "version": "1.6.0p28",
            "release_date": 1646148925,
            "class": "oldstable",
            }
        }
    },
    "appliance": {
        "1.5.1": {
        },
        "1.4.19": {
        }
    }
}

For each support major version you can see what the latest version (patch release) is and if it is the latest stable or an “oldstable”.
For the appliance I have added the latest version of the last 2 major version (1.5.x & 1.4.x).
If you are looking for the CMA “cma-2” is meant for appliance 1.4.x and cma-3 is meant for 1.5.x

Edit: we noticed there are some hashes missing for the docker images of 2.0.0p25, we’re on it.

5 Likes