How to Monitor a Citrix ADC/Netscaler?

Hello,

i’ve activated SNMP on the Netscaler and also added the CheckMK Host respectively for Access.

Yet when i do an SNMPWalk i get all the MiBs but when the Check_MK-SNMPAgent attempts to retrieve information it fails and thus doesn’t add Services.

Am i missing something here, that i need to configure?
The hostconfiguration says no agent and no data source, only snmp 1/2 with community public.

I’d appreciate any kind of advice or insight regarding this, or if you’ve managed to successfully monitor a Netscaler.

Have you configured the correct SNMP credentials for that host in checkmk?
By default SNMPv2 community “public” is used.

yes, the SNMP community is defined at the top(public) of the “Folder” tree and inherited from there. I’ve also already manually tried in diagnostic by specifying it, which gives the same result.

What gives you a “cmk -D hostname”?
You can also add a “–debug” to your inventory command.

This only seems to list the Host Parameters?

Inventory doesn’t seem to do much ere :
gasuf3

cmk --debug -vvI hostname

Added the respective rule, it keeps repeating the snmp error after 2nd or 3rd picture for a few times :

In your first screenshot you find a line starting with “Getting OID … Running 'snmpget …”
Try this command manually. I think this also don’t work manually but it must :slight_smile:
You can also configure your system that it has no system description OID but this is not the ideal solution.

getting timeout if i run it manually :
snmpget -v2c -c public -m “” -M “” -On -OQ -Oe -Ot hostip.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0
Timeout: No Response from hostip.

Also as i said after i added the rule about system OID i got the screenshots provided above.

I just dont get it, SNMP is active and working…

Do you normally just configure SNMP on a Netscaler and it “just” works, like most ofther SNMP Hosts in CheckMK?

Yes :slight_smile:

In your very first screenshot your community on the working snmpwalk is publi without c
Can it be that this is only a typing mistake?

that’s just unfortunate from the censoring, the community is public. I’ve tried other netscalers now, where it works.

I’ll check the Firmware Version, i suspect it might be an old Netscaler pre V12. The failed SNMP attempts seem to be when he tries to reach for information of the vServers.

Hi,

Netscaler SNMP config can limit SNMP to certain commands: GET (snmpget), GET NEXT (snmpwalk). For checkmk you need both snmpget and snmpwalk. This requires the setting ALL in the Netscaler SNMP configuration. So you might want to check this setting in Netscaler.

3 Likes

Thx this was actually it. I feel dumb for not seeing this sooner.
:thinking:

Glad it worked. :slight_smile: It’s pretty uncommon that devices limit specific SNMP commands. Confused me too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.