Installing AddON for "lvm"

Hello together,

i am using CheckMK and my Nodes works with lvm - Volumes.
I check all my Nodes with “ssh”, so if it possible to implement this “AddON” for Monitoring?

Best regards

Matthias

What do you want exactly? The lvm should be visible inside the normal agent output.
The diskstat check should also provide some information about your lvm.

Just install the lvm agent plugin on the Linux hosts.

The official plugins are available on the monitoring server via WATO (Monitoring Agents → Agent files → Linux/Unix agents - plugins) or directly at https://YOURSERVER/YOURSITE/check_mk/agents/plugins/

Just drop the lvm plugin file in the agent’s PLUGINSDIR on your monitored Linux hosts. Ususally this is /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins. Plugin files need to have execute permissions (+x)

Dear Martin,
thank you so much for your help.
Well, i want to get all the Status about LVM (Volume, Status, etc.), because I only see the “path” to them.
Well, does it works via SSH too? I had the SSH - Variante on my CheckMK - Installation.

Best regards

Matthias

It should not matter how the agent script is executed - be it xinetd, systemd socket, or ssh. But you probably have to run it as root (directly or using sudo) to be able to gather all the information.

You can try sudo /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins/lvm to see the information returned by the lvm plugin.

Here’s a sample output from a VM with 2 volume groups and 6 logical volumes:

<<<lvm_vgs>>>
  vg0	1	5	0	wz--n-	17175674880	2143289344
  vg1	1	1	0	wz--n-	26839351296	0
<<<lvm_lvs:sep(124)>>>
  lv_home|vg0|-wi-ao----|2147483648||||||||
  lv_root|vg0|-wi-ao----|4294967296||||||||
  lv_swap|vg0|-wi-ao----|2147483648||||||||
  lv_tmp|vg0|-wi-ao----|2147483648||||||||
  lv_var|vg0|-wi-ao----|4294967296||||||||
  lv_data|vg1|-wi-ao----|26839351296||||||||

Hey Martin,
I had check that today and find out, that I only see “lvm_VGS” & not “lvm_lvs” → why?

AND the next point is, that CheckMK goes here to CRITICAL point, because the LVGs are designed for full :frowning: → what is here the reason?

Best regards

Zhéxué M.

WATO → Host & Service Parameters
→ search for “lvm”, find " Volume Groups (LVM)", create rule to adjust warn/crit limits to your needs, perhaps even 101%.

I think you really should read the manual and learn the basics on check parameters, etc.

Usually you have a filesystem inside your LV. This can be monitored like any filesystem on any kind of block device. Nothing LVM-specific here.

And for Disk I/O checks: use the “Discovery mode for Disk IO check” ruleset to activate “Create a separate check for each LVM volume (Linux)” if you want to see these separately.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.