Installing old agent on windows 2000

hello everyone. am very new in this community and in the checkmk world. my company would like to monitor many linux and windows systems, so i found checkmk and i tried it. so far so good.

my problem is : we do still have some windows 2000 systems and we should monitor them also.
the new agent 2.1 is not compatible with it. i tried to search for a repositrory were old agents are but did not find anything.
can someone tell me first if the new checkmk appliance version 2.1.0p3.cfe still works with the old agents like 1.2.2 or 1.2.4 ? and does someone know how and from wehre i can download these?

thank you in advance

Yes, older agents can be queried from newer checkmk sites.

You will have to install an old checkmk version (1.4 or 1.5) from Download archive of outdated Checkmk versions and extract the agent package from it.

1 Like

first of all, thank you for the quick reply.

yes i thought about it, that it may be a workaround to install old checkmk version to get the old agents… but i wanted to ask here first bevor getting in to it…
i will try it thank you.

you can also pull only the checkmk agent from their github account:
1.2.4 checkmk/check_mk_agent.exe at 1.2.4 · tribe29/checkmk · GitHub
1.4 checkmk/check_mk_agent.msi at 1.4.0 · tribe29/checkmk · GitHub

2 Likes

i wanted to upload the old version on the same Server so that i can creat a new Site with the old version but it seems that the new firmware of my appliance does not support the 1.4 .cma file.

just download the deb or rpm package, extract it (for example 7zip on WIndows) and grab the agent file. You dont need to install the site with this version.

2 Likes

thank you. both ways the github and the extraction helpedand get me the agent 1.4 which i can run on a windows 2000. the appliance had no .deb or .rpm file so i took the one from debian and installer runs

now i have this issue
new issue
agent.msi in on the desktop.
and installation folder is the default one
c:\program\cehck_mk
but i think its an esxi or windows 2000 problem. because i did not install this windows 2000, it was an .ova that i imported

I would not use the MSI but only the exe link @gstolz posted.
From my experience the 1.2.x is the only one working on Win2k.

2 Likes

thank you very much guys.
downloaded the .deb file for 1.2.8 version
extract it with zip and installed the .exe file on w2k and it works fine.

for others who have the same issue:
i installed the .exe file, the .msi did not work.

.exe file path is :
Downloads\check-mk enterprise1.2.8p27.demo_0.stretch_amd64\data\opt\omd\versions\1.2.8p27.cee.demo\share\check_mk\agents\windows\install_agent.exe"

1 Like

FYI for anyone that runs into this: if anyone runs into this on windows 2000. If you get the error “This program cannot be run in DOS mode” after transferring the files by ftp (sometimes for win2k thats the only transfer mechanism that works), make sure that the ftp transfer is set to “binary” mode, otherwise the .exe files are broken and you get this very misleading error message :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.