Introducing docs.checkmk.com

Hi, I’m using Windows OS and Firefox 83.0.

Thanks brm.
I have failed to reproduce the issue on same OS + browser version.
Martin told me you were one of the earlier testers and that might be the reason you have an older version of the CSS cached on you machine.
Could you try to do a hard reload of the page by pressing CTRL+ALT+R at the same time?

Yes, I was able to resolve the issue by that procedure as suggested earlier in this post. :wink:

A similar observation can be made in the sample agent output, e.g. here:

But besides such tiny flaws, the new site is great! Thank you for the work.

2 Likes

Hi Dirk,

thank you for your feedback. It has been added to our internal bug ticket and will be taken care of.

1 Like

I really like it :+1:
I can’t wait for the searchbar. :grimacing:

One little thing that would be convenient. Can you redirect the traffic from the domain “docs.checkmk.de” to “docs.checkmk.com”? Just like we have it with the forum domain. Would be nice :wink:

1 Like

Hi Norm,

ich have forwarded your request for the re-direct to our admins.

With regards to the search, you can still use the crutch to prepend “site:docs.checkmk.com” to a search on most modern web searches.

Example: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Adocs.checkmk.com+linux+agent

But we will certainly get our own and better search up and running soon.

2 Likes

When including a link to the docs as a “link in a box” (by entering the link on a line by itself) here in a forum post, the preview shows the following note:

Sorry, we were unable to generate a preview for this web page, because the following oEmbed / OpenGraph tags could not be found: description, image

See the following screenshot:

Perhaps these tags can be included in the new docs site, so a more meaningful preview can be generated?

Hi Martin,

thank you for your feedback. I will forward this to our web/forum team. It would certainly be good to have a proper preview as well.

I just want to state, that this is just a problem in the preview. In the actual post everything looks just fine.

Maybe its just to early…
I cant find a search option?

Yes, @foobar. Look at the other posts in this thread:

Small formatting “bug” in the section

The box with the Apache config is broken.

Nice new documentation. It is a bit hard to stroll through “Further articles” as the current menu position is always reset when changing a page.

2 Likes

This is the result on Safari 14.0.2.

Hey Christian, as you were one of the early testers, you need to refresh the cache as it is loading the old CSS files.
Please do a hard refresh on the page, then it will be fine.

Any chance to access the legacy documentation until the search feature is implemented?
So far the new layout is great, but searching for certain information is crucial :slight_smile:

Example: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Adocs.checkmk.com+linux+agent

This is the best way to do it right now. That’s basically how the search on the old website worked as well, just with less intrusive ads as compared to Google.

1 Like

With collapsible side-panels I would expect “more reading area” in the screen. Currently only ~1/3 to 1/2 of the browser window has reading content, with the left third containing a “master index” of documentation, and the right third containing a “table of contents” for the current document. Both of the sidebars contain supplemental information that is infrequently used to navigate docs.

The most basic collapsible approach might mimic CMK itself, where the default screen “Main Overview” area becomes larger as the sidebar is collapsed.

Exploring the current CMK docs interface more, I see it already does some sort of side-panel collapse, after the width goes below ~1000px. This is similar to google android docs ( Android API reference  |  Android Developers ). Alas, I’m not finding an example of collapsible side-panels right now.

@sebkir: The same problem Dirk mentioned can be found here (Section 2.3 and 2.4)

1 Like

Hi @Norm, we have decided to not redirect the traffic from docs.checkmk.de to docs.checkmk.com. The structure of your new website only uses .com and we are trying to reinforce this by not redirecting more than is abolutely neccessary (i.e. checkmk.de -> checkmk.com/de).

2 Likes