[Results are in! - Survey] Micro survey #12: Dashboards

Greetings community :wave:

We are already two months into the new year, so it is time for the first Micro survey of 2024! The topic for the 12th survey is all about dashboards. We want to better understand how, when, and why you are using dashboards in Checkmk.

:arrow_right: Start the survey now :arrow_left:

We are looking forward to your insights!

Cheers,
Tanja

3 Likes

Hi @thohenstatt ,
I have a question about the Single Host Dashboard, which I unfortunately forgot to ask in the survey. Do I understand correctly that there is currently no way to access the Single Host Dashboard directly from the Host Service view?
I had already made this request somewhere over a year ago, but in the current 2.3 daily build I still can’t find a button or similar?

VG
Christian

1 Like

Hi Christian,

we are aware of that reqest. Going directly to the Single Host Dashboard from a Host Service view is not possible in 2.3.
It is in the long list of improvements for 2.4

Cheers, Martin

2 Likes

There is only no official way :smiley:
But a very easy workaround. This can be implemented in 2.3 without breaking anything @martin.hirschvogel :wink:

→ Custom Icons and Actions

There is no Linux icon inside the included icon set^^
Then
→ Custom icons and actions for hosts in status GUI

Now you have on all your Linux and Windows hosts with installed agent the dashboard link.

7 Likes

I’ll try that! Thank you :blush:

You are awesome! Are you using the dashboards? Are you also using the OS overview dashboards as well?

Hi @andreas-doehler,

there is an icon for Linux in the Misc section :slight_smile:
forum3

Karl

2 Likes

Ok my fail - Misc is most times ignored^^

2 Likes

Hello Community,

Thank you all for participating in the 12th Micro Survey! I am also always very happy when you mention usability improvement opportunities in the forum thread itself, like finding the Linux-icon :slight_smile:
We conducted this Micro survey in preparation for future improvements of the dashboards in Checkmk and found out the following:

• 88% of all participants customize dashboards. This indicates, that customization is key, as users have individual user cases, individual setups and monitoring needs.
  • Participants have dashboards open on both their monitor (45%) and a separate monitor in the office (39%). They also point out that it is difficult/impossible to create dashboards that work for different screen sizes. Screen resolution matters!
  • Building dashboards from scratch is perceived as challenging.

Our next steps in this area are:

• Simplifying the setup/configuration of dashboards: Since users need to be able to easily and quickly create and customize dashboards from scratch, ideally without having to read documentation or watch videos, we needed to simplify the setup and configuration of dashboards.
  • Improve repsonsivness of dashboards: We should improve the responsiveness of dashboards so that they can be more easily used on different screen sizes.

Cheers,
Tanja

2 Likes

The URL part also seems to work in 2.1 raw, when you make custom dashboards called linux_single_overview & windows_single_overview and fill them with needed stuff. Only the stuff is a bit limited with raw.

Not sure if those dashboards are otherwise builtin in other editions / versions.

I haven’t tried the custom icon and actions with dashboards yet. But used method in the past for custom urls towards internal knowledge base, so I assume that will work.