Newbie Intro Help with SNMP and Host Service Specific

Hi,

I’m using the latest CheckMK OVF appliance in an eSXi test rig and trying to figure out a couple of configs, I wonder if anyone could help point me in the right direction for please?

1. I’ve connected to an SNMP device (an SMS Eagle) using v2 successfully but there’s a bunch of custom OIDs I can see on Checkmk’s snmp walk which are not being monitored.

How can I expand the checkmk’s monitored SNMPv2 items from the snmpwalk it’s produced?

1. I’ve also connected a Windows host via the client install, checkmk’s done a services service disovery and listed all defaults which it’s monitoring. How could i define a particular group of windows services into a CheckMK service which I can then apply to hosts (for example, a known list of Windows services of interest “application_service_1, application_service_2”)?

Thanks, I’m gradually learning but any guidance most welcome

Best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I can’t speak to your SNMP questions, but in regards to your Windows service questions, the rules in Checkmk should make this quite easy.

Depending on what exactly you are trying to accomplish, you should look at Service monitoring rules > Windows Services, Service discovery rules > Windows service discovery, or Enforced services > Windows Services.

Service monitoring rules allow for customizing how a given service is monitored. By default, any monitored service is only considered “OK” if it is “Running” with an “Automatic” startup type.

Service discovery rules allow for customizing which services should be considered interesting if they are present on a host being monitored. For example, we use a rule that identifies our custom-built Windows services as interesting. These services are not expected to be present on every machine, but we do want to monitor them on any host where they do exist.

Lastly, enforced services allow for specifying services that must be present. For example, we use a rule that enforces the presence of the third-party tool we use for log forwarding on Windows. If the specified service is not found on a host to which the rule applies, Checkmk treats this as an error and the Checkmk service itself goes into a Warning state.

Hope this helps,
Jason

1 Like

Thanks Jason,

That has helped me understand the distinction in terminology and windows service capture, thanks.

I’ll await any further help from others regarding manufacturer defined SNMP OIDs which are present on checkmk snmpwalk but which aren’t registered as services and how to register them :slight_smile:

best,

Dave

Hello Dave,

The big disadvantage of SNMP is even that the protocol is standardized the content is not. Most devices have vendor specific information in the private MIB and requesting and individual development in monitoring tools. You can have a look in setup - Catalog of check plugins what is available out of the box or look at https://exchange.checkmk.com/ if one already developed something.

If still nothing found you may develop your own solution:

regards

Michael

1 Like

Thanks Mike - much appreciated there - I’ll get around to writing a basic plugin to capture the MIB items of interest then in a little while :slight_smile:

Best,

Dave

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.