Notifications problem from Synology NAS

Hi to All.

I am new to checkmk and stuck with not running notifications.

My setup is:

Synology NAS 720+ with DSM 6.2
Checkmk is running as docker image checkmk-check-mk-raw2
version: 2.0.0b3
Mail system based on synology package MailPlus Server
Fallback email address for notifications defined

I get no emails at all.

If I test @ from docker terminal:

echo “content” | mail -s test-subject xyz@gmail.com

I get the error:

postdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory

So I have change the permissions to folder with the command:

chmod 755 /var/spool/@MailPlus-Server/postfix/public

it did not help.

Can I get any advice please ? :slight_smile:

I got the same error when I was using postfix on docker and fixed it with this:

mkfifo /var/spool/postfix/public/pickup
And then, restart the service :
service postfix restart

Hi.

I do not have folder /var/spool/postfix/public/pickup while i use MailPlus-Server.

Tried your trick with (I guess) equvelent folder:

root@NAS01:~# mkfifo /var/spool/@MailPlus-Server/postfix/public/pickup

mkfifo: cannot create fifo ‘/var/spool/@MailPlus-Server/postfix/public/pickup’: File exists

So I am still at the same place :slight_smile:

Is ther any option to define within checkmk valid SMTP server and TCP port to send notifaction emails ?

That would solve my problem.

Ideally, Check_MK uses /usr/sbin/sendmail to send notifications, everything else
depends on the local MTA.

However,there are two active checks configurable via WATO:

Here you can specify the SMTP server

Check Email Delivery

This active check sends out special E-Mails to a defined mail address using the SMTP protocol and then tries to receive these mails back by querying the inbox of a IMAP or POP3 mailbox. With this check you can verify that your whole mail delivery progress is working.

Check SMTP to access services

This check uses check_smtp from the standard Nagios plugins in order to try the response of an SMTP server.

You did not understand me well :slight_smile:

Is there an option in CHECKMK to define SMTP details of the server that will be USED to send notification ?

I am not looking for an option to test if there is SMTP server active at defined host.

I am afraid there is nothing like that when you want to setup notifications.

If you use Mailplus, then you have configure the Mailplus so that atleast it can send emails. The same way I did it for postfix. Just installed Postfix and I had to make sure that the mail command works. If that works, then no extra configuration needed on Checkmk side.

You have to first make this work:

echo “content” | mail -s test-subject xyz@gmail.com

@ilexpl01 Did you ever get this working? Im in the same boat as you, new to Check_mk and I have it loaded up in my Synology. How do I get this thing to send an email when it detects the host down? What do I need to do in the Synology? Thanks so much!

Hi Channelzer0

It does work 4 me. Not sure if I know how I have made it running :stuck_out_tongue:

In docker settings please define variable MAIL_RELAY_HOST with the IP address of your Synology NAS.

I assume You have MailPlus server fully working installed on that storage device.

I hope, I have made myself clear :slight_smile: Wish You luck !

P.S.

Pity is, I have not found solution for incorrect time zone (CET timezone in @ notifications - #12 by ilexpl01) in @ notifications.

Thank you very much ilexpl01. Where/How do I set that IP? When I try to click on it in Docker, nothing happens.

Disregard, I found it. Need to have the container stopped. Ill give it a go.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.