QNAP as docker host

Hi there,

Is it possible to monitor docker containers running on a QNAP host?

I am monitoring my QNAP NAS (Intel based architecture) over SNMP but amongst other things, I am using the QNAP as a docker host. I would love to monitor the containers on this host as well but since the QNAP is based on a more esoteric linux (busybox?), I do not see how I can install the checkmk agent and the docker plugin on it (albeit running python is possible through Entware).

Any way to make this work?

OS information:

[~] # cat /etc/os-release
NAME="QTS"
VERSION="4.4.1 (20200214)"
ID=qts
PRETTY_NAME="QTS 4.4.1 (20200214)"
VERSION_ID="4.4.1"
[~] # uname -r
4.14.24-qnap
[~] # cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.14.24-qnap (root@U16BuildServer117) (gcc version 4.9.2 (toolchain config: [gcc-4.9.2 binutils-2.25 glibc-2.21])) #1 SMP Fri Feb 14 01:18:55 CST 2020

You need to configure your QNAP as a normal Linux host (agent called with SSH should be the best).
And what is more challenging than the agent, is to get the docker plugin running on this host.
For the docker plugin you need some extra Python libs.
If you take a look at the mk_docker you will see all the libraries imported.

Hallo,
do you use container more static or more in a dynamic way?
If you are using containers static and allways up you can try to monitore the containers from inside.
Mayby aonother way is to use prometheus/ grafana or other similar tools to collect informations.

Ralf

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.