Recognizing ifAdminStatus: if64adm collides with if64_tplink

Hello,

tried to use Switchport ifAdminStatus to distinct between “down” and “admin down”. This basically works fine.

But doing so on TPLink switches raises the following scenario (from what I understand):

• discovering a TPLink switch makes check_mk using if64_tplink for further discovery
  • using ifAdminStatus makes check_mk enforcing if64adm instead of if64
  • both in combination inventorize/discover the interfaces double, I have “Interface nnnn” services from if64adm and “Interface nnnn” services from if64_tplink

From what I understand this special case isn’t catched in the if64/if64adm/if64_tplink combination. I.e. something like a if64adm_tplink should be implemented. I categorize this as a bug (if so, where to report?).

As aworkaround-question: Regardless the things if64_tplink makes better for TPLink switches: How can I force if64/if64adm instead of the TPLink flavour?

TIA,
Jan

You can forbid the usage of “if64_tplink” with rule and discover the “if64adm”.
Other problem or solution for this problem is that the TPLink devices also support the normal OIDs for alias. This was the only reason to write a special check for TPLink devices.
That also means device with actual firmware should work fine with the normal if checks.

Hello,

I didn’t find a way to forbid if64_tplink - can you give me a hint which rule this is?

Host & Service Parameters -> Monitoring Configuration -> INVENTORY AND CHECK_MK SETTINGS -> Disabled checks
There you can select the check that you want to disable.

Hello,

created a “Disabled checks” rule - service discovery does not find the “new” (if64/if64adm) interfaces and the eisting services say “no response” (from check, I guess - which makes sense, it’s disabled).

A tabula rasa ends up in no interfaces shown.

Is the usage of if64_tplink hardcoded somewhere (I mean that it wants to use if64_tplink when it finds TPLink switches)?

You said that you made also the rule to discover if64adm? This check is needs that the host has valid data for the if64 check and also that the rule exist to discover the admin status nothing else.

This was written before from you. If you now disable the “if64_tplink” the other one should be not removed.

Aaaah - my bad, that one was still disabled, of course. Okay got it now. Thank you very much!

So there is no “clean” way (regardless of the ifAdminState stuff here) to tell it “don’t use the TPLink hack for TPLink” (means: Use if64 on TPLinks)?

If you need no admin status the normal if64 should also work for TPLink, if i read the comments in the correct way. The problem was only the alias on the interfaces. The traffic values are the same for booth checks.

Yes, I completely switched to the “normal” if* stuff now.

Thanks alot!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.