Ruleset to map services from host A to host B?

Hi all,

is there a general way to “map” a service from one host to another?
Some WATO ruleset to “move” a service from host A to host B, as if the service coming from host A had a piggyback header for host B?
A bit like the “Clustered services” ruleset, but for any normal host.

Use case: We query the vCenter and receive back information on datastores (besides other info). I would now like to have each datastore service displayed on the corresponding storage system (or the ESXi host in case of local disks), not on the vCenter itself. Otherwise, when we schedule a checkmk host downtime for the storage system (or an ESXi host with local disks), we need to remember to schedule another service downtime for the corresponding datastore service(s) on the vCenter host.

Any ideas how to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Martin
(still on 1.5 CEE for that setup but hope to upgrade soon)

Nothing build in i think.
Only way what i had implemented was building BIs for complex dependencies and only notify on the BI status not the single element. That is possible in some environments but not all.

In regards to the ESXi Datastores service check to be shown for the respective ESXi host, We are using two monitoring accounts which means two Datasource program rules - One querying the vCenter and the other querying the ESXi host. The objects to be queried have been divided between both the queries(rules) so that there are no duplicates.

Did this answers your question?

I think this is not what @martin.schwarz wants.
In bigger environments or for shared datastores it is not so good to query every ESX host.
He wants to assign with a rule or some mechanic the services from the vCenter to the single hosts without to query every host by itself.

I have one idea how this can be done. But I’m not sure if it will work.
The central services on the vCenter should get service labels with the name of the assigned “parent” host. Now we need a option at downtime set dialog to also set services in downtime with the same “parent” label as the host name is.
This idea should be possible to implement.

Thanks for the feedback!

I was hoping for some general solution to map services between hosts.
BI is probably overkill here.

Specifically for vCenter/Datastores: some option for the special agent like:
Display datastore information on: The storage system
similar to the existing option Display ESX Host power state on: The ESX Host.
Does the vCenter even “know” which storage system provides each datastore? In some way sure, but probably not in a uniform way. It could be NFS, iSCSI, local storage, vSAN, … often just one or multiple IP address(es) so this woiuld require a manual mapping to a host name (or even vSAN cluster name) in the monitoring system.

Perhaps I’ll file a feature request one day :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.