'Set timeouts for plugins and local checks' not available for Linux hosts?

Hi,

I do have a MySQL database, which sometimes has a high load. At these times the mysql plugin causes the whole agent to run into a timeout. Since this is an application problem and should not block the agent run, I naivly configured the “Set timeouts for plugins and local checks” for the mysql plugin, but obviously this rule only applys for windows hosts.
I know I can set the mysql plugin to asynchronous mode, which I am going to do to solve this.
Is there really no way to limit a (generic) plugin/local check in it’s execution time on a linux host?

BR
Benjamin

Hi,

I am aware of this principal, but I don’t want to cache it, I want to “kill” the plugin, if it runs longer than e.g 30s. It’s ok if the output of the plugin then says something like “ran into a timeout”.

BR
Benjamin

On the Unix agent side, you can’t expect any big improvements/innovations from Trieb29 anymore. We and others have made various suggestions for improvement the unix agents in recent years but none of them have been implemented. I hate to say it but for once the functionality on the Windows side is much better than on the Unix side.

Maybe we are more successful this time because it is initiated via the new feature request portal and visible to the pupblic:

1 Like

As workaround you could make a wrapper script that calls the mysql plugin with the waitmax function.

1 Like

oh, that’s a good one. I voted it up.

hmm, ok, this could be a solution, but it would be a very big workaround, for such a simple task.
Working with the bakery, this means removing the deployment of a standard plugin and manually deploy it somewhere else and then deploying another plugin which calls it again. That’s an ugly hack, but a working solution.

I know but, in the end, better than waiting for a solution from triebe29.

Maybe you will be lucky and trieb29 will take pity on us after all these years of waiting and will implement such a basic functions like timeout handling in all unix agents.

Or you migrate to windows where the timeout function is included in the agent already :rofl: :joy:.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.