Setup with nginx possible?

hey guys,

i’m loving to use nginx for everything so i just want to ask if its possible to use nginx instead of apache?

Further on installation its using my instance name for the url path. I just want to get checkmk available directly on the subdomain which is hold for the monitoring server. Is there any way to do that?

Then my plan is to hide it behind a vpn and for my office monitoring display i need to pass the login in any way - any experience with that?

best regards

This is not possible. Every checkmk site uses its own instance of Apache for the web application. Apache has to be installed anyway.

Sites are distinguished via their name in the URL, so it cannot be mapped to a subdomain. You can create redirects from the subdomain to the site URL in the system Apache’s configuration.

Checkmk uses two Apaches: A site Apache for each instance (listening on port 5000 for the local loopback interface for the first site, 5001 for the second and so on) and the system Apache at port 80/443 on the external interface basically acting as a reverse proxy.

Since our docker images skip the system Apache and our guides tell how to map port 5000 of the container to a more common port outside, the answer is: Yes, you can easily replace the system Apache with Nginx, but should not try to tamper with the site Apache.

With a bit of Rewrite and Redirect magic, you might also get rid of the folder name in the path. I would not do it, since it would not be worth the effort for me.

So basically its just possible with docker, cause docker skips the part but with deb package their ist no was?

Hmmm… I will overthink if its worth to learn docker also. :smiley: But thank you :slight_smile:

No, just configure the system Apache for localhost:8080, then you can use a Nginx on the external interface and 80/443. On typical installs the system Apache really is only reverse proxy for the site Apache (you can roll out many monitoring sites on a single machine which is great for testing) that listens on localhost:5000.

It absolutely does not matter if you proxy this port with Apache (our default config), bind/forward it (our docker default) or use Nginx (your idea). Just do not tamper with the site Apache.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.