SNMP only adds Check_MK service?

Hello,

We have host which use only SNMP configured as follow:

Problem is its adding Check_MK service which says [agent] Communication failed but there is no agent configured.

Any ideas what could be causing that?

And can i have just simple ping instead of it?

CheckMK version: Raw 1.6.0p11

You have to choose Check_MK Agent: Normal check_mk agent, or special agent if configured

Did not help, its still trying to contact CheckMK Agent, but there is no agent! Its router with only SNMP.

Then try Legacy SNMP if available in your site:

Only this:

Have you tried “No checkmk agent, all configured special agents” then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry about the mess, i mostly have the legacy rules active.

Yes i wrote it did not help. Its still trying to contact checkmk agent even with that option.

In the screenshot in your first post, you chose “no agent” and not “No checkmk agent, all configured special agents”

Yeah then i tried what you suggested and its the same result :slight_smile:

Ok, could really be a bug then. I’m on 1.6.0p9 and just changed one of my hosts from legacy snmp to the one i last suggested -> works.

This is the worst case for a running system. You really need to migrate these settings before the 1.7 upgrade.

@Corbe - to troubleshoot your issue a little bit more, please do the following.

On the command line as site user
cmk --debug -D hostname ← Important lines are “Agent mode” and “Type of agent”

Agent mode:             No agent
Type of agent:
  SNMP (Community: 'public', Bulk walk: yes, Port: 161, Inline: yes)
  Process piggyback data from /omd/sites/<sitename>/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/<hostname>

The SNMP config can be different on your system.

If the output looks like my example you can do

cmk --debug -vvI hostname

To try an inventory of this host. If there is a problem you will receive a little bit of error messages.

I guess i should use the cmk command on site which host is monitored on? We have distributed monitoring and im getting “cmk: command not found” on our site server.

//EDIT:
Oh figured it out i need to be site user so “su - sitename” helped" i could run command that way.

I need to get in touch with colleage cause i have no rights for the site server. I let you inform about output from debug command.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.