Solaris 11 ipmitool

Hey all,

I was looking for a way to monitor ipmitool on Solaris11 systems. Unfortunately I didnt find anything neither here nor at google and started to look for the differences between the linux and solaris agent. Then I modified the solaris check_mk_agent and added the missing sections i found in the linux agent. I’m pretty sure its not a perfect solution but a working one.

I’d appreciate if a checkmk dev could check my way and first tell me if i can do anything better and second maybe include it into the future solaris agents. Makes it easier when i dont have to modify the agent each time i upgrade checkmk.

I did the following modification to the agent at “/usr/bin/check_mk_agent”:

1. I added after “section_statgrab()” (probably doesnt matter where to add):
section_ipmitool() {
    if inpath ipmitool; then
        run_cached "ipmi" 300 "echo '<<<ipmi:sep(124)>>>'; timeout 300 ipmitool sensor list | grep -v 'command failed' | grep -v '^[^ ]+ na ' | grep -v ' discrete '"
        # readable discrete sensor states
        run_cached "ipmi_discrete" 300 "echo '<<<ipmi_discrete:sep(124)>>>'; ipmitool sdr elist compact"
    fi
}
  1. I added to the “run_partially_asynchronous_sections()”:
    # Hardware sensors via IPMI (need ipmitool)
    [ -z "${MK_SKIP_IPMITOOL}" ] && _log_section_time section_ipmitool
  1. I executed “/usr/bin/check_mk_agent” and the agent created the cache files. A rescan on the host now shows the IPMI services.
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
Best chances with a PR on GitHub?
https://github.com/tribe29/checkmk/pulls

Just did. I would love to see it in future solaris agents.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.