Switch user laptop interface

Hi you all,

I’m new on check_mk and i’m facing an huge issue.
So, we have all our switches beeing monitored bt check_mk, so far so good, but we receive a lot of alarmistics from users laptop interfaces when state changes.
Every day when users go home, they take they’re laptops and so an alarm is set, cause the interface became down.
Can you tell me how to avoid this?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi @hugo.ferreira,

The best approach if you really feel the need to monitor that is to create time periods and assign them to the laptop interfaces services.

You should look at the alarms first. You can create a rule for all ports where Laptops connected to suppress the state of Port (ignore Port state). If also IP Phones connected, you should ignore speed additionally.

1 Like

Hi Tavanez,

Thanks for your answer.
I don’t feel the need to monitor that interfaces and I really want to remove this interfaces from monitoring, but i’m not getting how it’s done.

Thanks

Best way is to use a rule. One of them is “Switch port discovery” the other one is to ignore the services. It will be helpful you habe naming conventions to identify different ports like uplink and so on.

1 Like

Have a look at this blog post: https://blog.checkmk.com/network-monitoring-four-rules-to-rule-them-all

4 Likes