Testing version 1.6.0p8 parallel with 1.5.0.p16

Dear Forum.

I was wondering. I have a 1.5.0p16 cmk setup in production. And would like to test the 1.6 version.

Would it be possible to make a parallel cmk master and slave. And to install the 1.6 windows agent. And still get data on the 1.5.0.p16 slave?

Hallo,
for the first steps use some VMs to build a complete infrastructure.

Ralf

The agent must not be more recent than the server, e.g. an 1.6 agent will produce data that an 1.5 check engine will not be able to process.
An agent may be older than the check engine as there are compatability functions built into the check plugins.
I am not quite sure if an 1.5 site is able to work as a WATO remote for a 1.6 central site as the config file format has changed completely.

You will be better off to test 1.6 completely separate.

1 Like

Thanks for the good responses.

I have build a complete setup on one host with sites on some vps’s in the cloud. But they dont have any hosts and would just like to test it.

Hello,
I have a similar situation regarding upgrade procedure.

I have in production 1.5.0.p21 CEE and I would like to test the latest stable version.
Can i configure a new server with the same version of production-1.5 (backup-restore method) then upgrade on the test machine and keep alive in parallel with the prod environment?

Can be a problem with the license?

Thank you,
Robert

Hallo,
there is a slot on the next conference with the top „testing and staging“.

License depends on the number of services and not the number of sites or installations.
Perhaps the new free edition is an option for first tests.
Ralf

1 Like

See the pricing FAQs at Order Checkmk now which explicitely state “Pure test systems for testing Checkmk versions, etc., are also not counted.”

3 Likes