Turning down the number of helper processes on a site that won't start (because it is starting too many helper processes)

I’ve got a very large site that I’m trying to clone (via backup restore) on a test server (with less RAM and CPU). Being a large site, it’s configured to start many helper processes, which entirely swamps this poor machine.

var/log/cmc.log:2022-11-22 17:20:18 [5] [Check_MK helper pool] started 200 Check_MK helpers in 12826.5 ms

So I found and updated the relevant config lines with smaller numbers

etc/check_mk/conf.d/wato/sitespecific.mk:cmc_cmk_helpers = 20
etc/check_mk/conf.d/wato/global.mk:cmc_cmk_helpers = 10
etc/check_mk/conf.d/wato/global.mk:cmc_real_time_helpers = 10
etc/check_mk/conf.d/wato/global.mk:cmc_check_helpers = 15

and yet

var/log/cmc.log:2022-11-22 18:26:51 [5] [Check_MK helper pool] started 200 Check_MK helpers in 11002.3 ms

Evidently this setting is saved somewhere else. I found the precompiled_check_config.mk by grepping for helpers but deleting that still had it starting the 200 processes.

What have I missed here? I don’t normally have to work without the web interface :frowning:

After changing the config i would do a “cmk -U” to update the running config of your system.

2 Likes

That appears to be exactly what I was missing, cheers. I don’t have to work on Checkmk without the web UI often.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.