Unable to discover host services with Azure Special Agent configured

OMD 2.1.0p12.cre / Agent: cmk-agent-ctl 2.1.0p12:
Centos 8

I setup omd and was successfully monitoring my docker host, which also resides in my Azure environment. After I followed the guide to enable the Azure monitoring via the special agent, omd vanished all of the local services (cpu, mem, etc) and replaced it with the generic Azure status like #of AD Users, Costs details, etc. Which are all nice to add on to the hosts, but now I have zero details about what the host is actually doing. I tried building a separate VM in my rg and it never even bothered to discover the local services, it only displays the Azure metrics which don’t include anything about the actual performance of the VM.

I’ve tried toggling the “map VMs,” various piggyback settings, etc, to no avail.

I’m at a loss as to where to restore the host metrics short of disabling the Azure Agent, which is my next stop, to see if it’s somehow interfering or otherwise skipping the discover/checks to the hosts agent. To be fair, I’m almost certain this is the case. I’m running tcpdump on my host and, when I perform a service rediscovery, omd makes no attempt to reach out to the host.

I figure there’s just a rule I need to reconfigure to have both azure agent and the cmk agent discovered but I’m not finding anything in the documentation or here in the forums.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-up: Disabled the Azure Ruleset which contains all the Azure API stuff and almost immediately omd discovered all of the services on my hosts and the Azure services vanished. Re-enable the rule and it flips again to vanish all the cmk metrics in favor of the Azure stuff.

So how do I monitor both the cmk agent and the Azure agent information for the same host?

Thanks!

You only need to configure the Azure agent against a virtual host object, not a real host object you want to monitor.
The data fetched from the special agent is mostly piggyback data → The piggyback mechanism
Now to see this data, you need a host object with the same name as the special agent fetched it.
Inside your OMD instance you have a folder “~/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/” with some other folders inside. The folder names there are the host names the special agent sees inside your Azure environment.

I guess to be more specific I had…

Configured a Linux host to monitor as described in Linux Agent Configuration

After verifying that worked I then added the Azure Host as a separate host as noted here in the Azure Monitoring guide

As soon as this “virtual host” was configured, I lost all services on my linux host. I made sure to add the resource groups as hosts as well and tried several iterations of piggyback, vm mapping, and other changes to try to get the data back for the individual agents. Nothing worked. As soon as the Azure virtual host is configured and it’s calling that API, it no longer reaches out to the other agents nor does it find any of their services :frowning:

Is it possible that the Azure special agent has a wrong condition setting?
It should be only assigned to the Azure object.

Thanks again for the timely response!

I’m not sure to be honest. I followed the guide and only assigned the special agent to monitor the “AzureCoud” host I created and the Cloud Rule to explicitly include a couple of resource groups. I do recall that the check_mk agent check may have had an azure tag applied to it through some of the canned rules. When I explicitly excluded the host I wanted checkmk to monitor directly, it switched back to the agent but also quit pulling in the Azure metrics.

This is just a PoC to show my team some of the capabilities and we’re being directed to focus mostly on azure native tools, so it’s unlikely we’re going to move ahead with the product anyway. So, it’s not worth my time to try and solve this.

If there ends up being a compelling reason to use cmk I’m sure we’ll work this out later. For now I’m going to consider this solved as I do believe it’s a configuration error on my side and lack of familiarity with this feature.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.