Veritas Cluster Server & Solaris 10 - Doable?

I’m working on becoming more and more familiar with the check_mk plugin system. One that I’m trying to figure out in specific is Veritas Cluster Server, and not in a traditional usage pattern either.

I’m trying to implement the Veritas Cluster Server check on a Solaris server in our environment. According to the check_mk page, the check only works in Linux, but the commands/location/everything are the same on the Solaris box as they would be on an equivalent Linux server.

When I attempt to add the check, check_mk complains that it’s missing the plugin “veritas_vcs”. I do not see this plug in anywhere on the check_mk server, but I do see that lines for veritas_vcs are embedded in the check_mk_agent script that runs on the Linux client.

In order to try and make this check “Solaris compatible”, would I just need to copy/paste the lines from the linux check_mk_agent into the Solaris check_mk_agent and re-run it to see what happens, or is there a file I should be dropping into /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins that I am just not seeing somewhere?

Thanks!

Hi,
yes, copying and pasting the lines from the Linux agent should work fine in the Solaris one. Try it out and let us know what happens :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers

Learned a lot in the past couple of hours, and should add some extra context too!

We’re currently using 1.5p16, but the agent I was using was 1.5p9 based on when we first rolled this out to the environment as a whole. When I first copied the lines into the check_mk_agent we had there, pretty much at the end of the file (past the “ps” section), it never even ran.

We discovered a syntax error just before that which was causing the entire script to fail at that point and was also causing us not to get a good chunk of tests! When we updated the script to a “factory” 1.5p16, it worked, and then when we added the VCS cluster lines in question to the end of that script we also saw output in check_mk. Big step in the right direction.

This has exposed a new error though. On check_mk_discovery, under the host --> WATO --> Save & Go To Services (performing a discovery), I get this error:

Service discovery failed for this host: Got invalid data:
local variable ‘cluster_name’ referenced before assignment

Retry discovery while ignoring this error (Result might be incomplete).

Any idea what to make of this error? I don’t see any sort of cluster_name variable in the agent script.

A better view of that error:

OMD[bo3master]:~$ cmk --debug -vv --check-discovery cdb0.dc1.prod
Updating IPv4 DNS cache for cdb0.dc1.prod: 10.47.56.50

• FETCHING DATA
    [agent] No persisted sections loaded
    [agent] Not using cache (Does not exist)
    [agent] Execute data source
    [agent] Connecting via TCP to 10.47.56.50:6556 (5.0s timeout)
    [agent] Reading data from agent
    [agent] Write data to cache file /omd/sites/bo3master/tmp/check_mk/cache/cdb0.dc1.prod
    [piggyback] No persisted sections loaded
    [piggyback] Execute data source
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/bin/cmk”, line 96, in
    exit_status = modes.call(o, a, opts, args)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/modes/init.py”, line 80, in call
    return mode.handler_function(*handler_args)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/modes/check_mk.py”, line 1412, in mode_check_discovery
    return discovery.check_discovery(hostname, ipaddress=None)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/checking.py”, line 81, in wrapped_check_func
    status, infotexts, long_infotexts, perfdata = check_func(hostname, *args, **kwargs)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/discovery.py”, line 322, in check_discovery
    services = _get_host_services(hostname, ipaddress, sources, multi_host_sections, on_error=“raise”)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/discovery.py”, line 1018, in _get_host_services
    return _get_node_services(hostname, ipaddress, sources, multi_host_sections, on_error)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/discovery.py”, line 1023, in _get_node_services
    services = _get_discovered_services(hostname, ipaddress, sources, multi_host_sections, on_error)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/discovery.py”, line 1061, in _get_discovered_services
    new_items = _discover_services(hostname, ipaddress, sources, multi_host_sections, on_error)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/discovery.py”, line 715, in _discover_services
    for item, paramstring in _execute_discovery(multi_host_sections, hostname, ipaddress, check_plugin_name, on_error):
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/discovery.py”, line 914, in _execute_discovery
    check_plugin_name, for_discovery=True)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/data_sources/host_sections.py”, line 146, in get_section_content
    nodes_of_clustered_service)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/data_sources/host_sections.py”, line 204, in _get_section_content
    section_content = self._update_with_parse_function(section_content, section_name)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/lib/python/cmk_base/data_sources/host_sections.py”, line 299, in _update_with_parse_function
    return parse_function(section_content)
    File “/omd/sites/bo3master/share/check_mk/checks/veritas_vcs”, line 167, in parse_veritas_vcs
    section.setdefault(item_name, []).append(Vcs(node, attr, value, cluster_name))
    UnboundLocalError: local variable ‘cluster_name’ referenced before assignment

… and another bit of info. In the agent check itself, I had to fix one line for our particular Solaris clusters: I changed:

Blockquotevcshost=$(hostname | cut -d. -f1)

to:

Blockquotevcshost=$(hostname)

This cluster uses FQDN’s for the names.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.