Voicing your questions about Checkmk Development

Sorry Mike, but we refuse to do this anymore. We have to pay for each bug they fix for us (and every other customer). This is unacceptable and no other company does it this way.

And sending bug reports to feedback@ is pretty useless since literally nothing happens then despite tribe29 says that this is the way to go since we made them aware of their agb / terms of use. To cite the AGB (sorry for german)
Die Behandlung von Softwarefehlern wird bei der Berechnung der Support-Tickets nicht berücksichtigt und erfolgt daher unabhängig vom gewählten Supportpaket für den Kunden kostenlos.

So @TLI @martin.hirschvogel @Sara etc: What exactly does that mean? Can we assume that we won’t be charged for bugs anymore? Or if we’d have to use feedback@ then. Will you change your mindset and respond to these mails properly?

And to be honest: I don’t see the point, paying additionally for Bug Fixes. In other words: We pay for broken software, we pay a significant fee for support every year, do QA at nos customer and would have to pay even more, that the vendor fixes it. I wouldn’t even pay additonal $10/year for that because it makes NO sense since we already pay for support!

3 Likes

I will go into all feedback which has been posted here in the calls mentioned by @Sara.
I think there are a lot of things, which we can tackle and improve on. The entire feedback@… is also something, which we are unhappy about ourselves and actually put on our agenda to solve soon even before we received all this feedback.

@gk998 I would appreciate if you would respond to the email, which we sent to your colleague @matze218. I believe a clarifying direct discussion would be more helpful as it seems you are not aware of the support option your company actually bought from us against our recommendation.

We’ll do. But just to be clear here: I’m the guy in our company who is responsible and made the decision to use checkmk. And I know the contract details we signed in every detail.

I sent you direct message.

Many years ago there was the “well” known “hacking week” (forgot the actual name) where a group of your developers been invited, to solve as many problems / bugs as quick as possible. Even as a customer it feelt nice, as you saw suddently so many git commits and problems/bugs being solved, you havent even reported towards you.

How about to implement a featurethon? :wink:
There are so many little features which can be implemented in 0.5-5 days.
For example, you pre-select 100, open up for voting and from top to bottom, they will be part of the featurethron.Try to implement as many as possible.
Or forget the voting, let you devs pick one! :wink:

Just to make sure - This does not mean that highly voted features will be postponed or ignored.
This would be an extra, scheduled already a year in advanced for your developers (that it fits into your time schedule)
The only thing which will be new is, that your developers also have impact in the preselection.
As they also have different skill sets, different interestes, like a new challange and some diversion out of the daily business from time to time :wink:
(I remember there was joy when some of them been talking about that “hacking” week and how excited they’ve been)
Would at least show huge development, ones per year on the feature portal

2 Likes

Hello all!

As promised, let us meet for some calls where we could, in real time, discuss everything and share.

Here is the link to register.

After we have confirmed that you are an active forum member or Checkmk customer, closer to the calls I will send you the links to the call you have chosen.

Please register until 10th of February, so I could have enough time to send you the call details,

Sara

5 Likes

Dear community members,

thank you to all people who found time to join us on the community calls, especially the ones who joined even during their vacation. All calls ended up being 2.5 hours long.

As promised, here is a summary of the calls, which we had last week.

As transparency and communication were meta-topics across the entire feedback, during the calls we spent time to give context, shed light into what happens behind the scenes: how our teams are structured, how our roadmap is being created, how we do quality assurance and other details.

Then, we discussed the five topics, which were the most prominent in the feedback:

• Roadmap
  • Feature portal
  • Quality
  • Support
  • Bug tracker

For each topic, we

• Reflected on the feedback we received previously in this thread
  • Discussed proposed actions by tribe29

Some of the discussed actions are pretty straight-forward, e.g.

• Updating the roadmap section on our website
  • Regularly giving updates on the roadmap and progress
    • One of the proposed formats for this is having regular catch-up community calls
  • Implementing requests from the feature portal for Checkmk 2.3.
    • The context is important here: the feature portal was introduced after the 2.2 roadmap was defined, that’s why not so much has been implemented for Checkmk 2.2 – we planned anyway to have more features included from the portal in the future, but now we will put even more emphasis on that
  • Communicating better and more around the feature portal.
  • Fix inconsistencies and increase usability of the product.
    • We have already started a series of surveys to collect feedback and improve the user experience – and we are committed to continue doing that.

Some are much more complex and need to be further refined, e.g.

• Adapting our support model to reflect current day user expectations
  • Increasing test coverage for check plugins, agent plug-ins and agents
  • Making Checkmk upgrades easier to manage
  • Building a proper public bug tracker

It was very helpful for us to have in-person discussions to get your thoughts on how something like a bug tracker could actually be implemented. We are also glad that these calls gave way to more productive interaction with involved community members: some of the feedback is already being discussed additionally with the people who suggested it.

Our next step now is to come up with a detailed plan which we can commit to. We will share it publicly to the wider user base, once it is done.

This thread will be closed. If you have further feedback, please contact directly either @Sara, your tribe29 Account Executive, or join us in future community calls, where there will be ample room to discuss topics of concern in person – as the calls we had have shown, this is a good and productive way.

7 Likes