Windows Host no services detected

Hi ,
I’m trying to add a few windows hosts for monitoring but check mk was not able to detect any services when I do a service discovery . I’m using a custom port for connectivity . Tried checking telnet to the to be monitored host on the port which shows its connected but I dont get a services output which I get when I do a telnet to another hosts which is working fine . Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks !
Check MK version : Enterprise 1.6.0p20
Windows Host server 2008 R2
Agent Output for the one where it works

Trying xx.xx.xx.xxx
Connected to xx.xx.xx.xxx
Escape character is '^]'.
<<<check_mk>>>
Version: 1.6.0p20
BuildDate: Jan 13 2021
AgentOS: windows
Hostname: xxxxxxxxxxx
Architecture: 64bit
WorkingDirectory: C:\Windows\system32
ConfigFile: C:\Program Files (x86)\checkmk\service\check_mk.yml
LocalConfigFile: C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\check_mk.user.yml
AgentDirectory: C:\Program Files (x86)\checkmk\service
PluginsDirectory: C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins
StateDirectory: C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\state 

Agent Output for the one where its not working

Trying xx.xx.xx.xxx...
Connected to xx.xx.xx.xxx.
Escape character is '^]'.

Have a look if you can locally to the custom port. If this differs from remote connection, then it is a firewall topic, either the local firewall or a central one.
If it does not differ, try running the agent manually with the parameter “test”.

Hi Dennis,
Tried running the agent manually with “test” parameter on the windows host and we did get the agent output there . However we are unable to get these services on the check mk console .
Also tried doing a telnet from the command line and got output in both the cases locally and from the check mk host remotely

.\check_mk_agent.exe test

In the command line as site user, what is the output of ‘cmk -D myhost01’ (replaced with the hostname in question)?

Here’s what I get with that command

OMD[master]:~$ cmk -D xxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Addresses:              xx.xx.xx.xxx
Tags:                   [address_family:ip-v4-only], [agent:cmk-agent], [criticality:prod], [datacenter:none], [function:none2], [ip-v4:ip-v4], [networking:lan], [os:windows], [os_windows:os_windows], [piggyback:auto-piggyback], [service_haproxy:service_haproxy], [services:haproxy], [site:master], [snmp_ds:no-snmp], [tcp:tcp]
Labels:
Host groups:            XXXX
Contact groups:         cXXXX
Agent mode:             Normal Checkmk agent, or special agent if configured
Type of agent:
  Program: sleep 5 | telnet xx.xx.xx.xxx 611xx; exit 0
  Process piggyback data from /omd/sites/master/tmp/check_mk/piggyback/xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Services:
  checktype item params description groups
  --------- ---- ------ ----------- ------

The problem is obviously the rule ‘Individual program call instead of agent access’. Deactivate it, and try the ruleset ‘TCP port for connection to Checkmk agent’ for configuring the right port.

4 Likes

This helped us resolve the issue. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.