Enable replication

Hello Forum,

What can be a possible scenario in a distributed env where you should enable replication to push to remote sites ?

I asked this myself while I was migrating a site into a new cluster env and doing this with a back/restore

In the new cluster I found the complete wato folder with all configurationdetails of all other hosts. When I check the gui the host indicates the site is unknown for hosts from other sites (oef), but not for hosts that were on the master site, it shows the host is now on the new site and this is not correct

I’m a but worried now what will happen when I add the new cluster into the distributed setup …

Hello Philippe,

when you enable the replication in the distributed connection, the configuration of the central site will be pushed to the satellite, everything there will be overwritten.
This is for setups where you want to have a single point of configuration for the whole distributed monitoring.

1 Like

seems legit, but how would you migrate a site in such a setup ?

A backup/restore will copy the complete wato folder but this will be overwritten, so any host will remain.
Bulk edit doesn’t allow me to change the site off a host

I’m really puzzled here

You will have to migrate the configuration files manually from the satellite to the central site and push it back to the satellite with an activate changes.
But there are a lot if things to consider, so I would recommend testing this very intensively in a test environment.

There is a small paragraph in the documentation about the process: Distributed monitoring - Scaling and distributing Checkmk

3 Likes