Hosts appear in Setup but not monitoring

CMK version: 2.3.0-2023.12.14
OS version: checkmk-raw

I’ve created:

• A Contact Group
  • A ‘normal monitoring’ user, associated with said Contact Group
  • A Service Monitoring Rule with no conditions and that is explicitly associated with the group
  • A Host Monitoring Rule with no conditions and that is explicitly associated with the group

Everything is activated. Using the new User account, I can see all hosts under Setup. However, no hosts show under ‘Monitor’ or on the dashboard.

I’ve seen similar questions in this forum and they ‘solved’ the issue by going into the ‘normal user’ role and enabling access to all hosts for the role. This seems counter to the function of contact groups. I have some hosts that I don’t want to be seen by ‘normal monitoring users’. Once I get this working, I’ll add a condition to exclude those host from the host monitoring rule. Right now, all hosts are included, there are no conditions set for any of the rules.

When looking at the effective parameters for the hosts, I see that they’re associated with the contact group.

Thoughts?

I’m missing things here.

What service and host rules did you create? I assume you placed the hosts the user should see in a folder? what settings did you use?

You dont need rules for this, this is wrong.

Create a folder for “group a” where you set the contact group that group a should use, the same for folder b

Set the permissions accordingly.

You only need rules when you want to override things, mostly on a service level (that is overkill for most implementation)

I’ve removed the rules. This has not changed the situation, though.

I have a folder, ‘Windows’. I’ve modified the properties of this folder by selecting the permission tick box and moving both ‘Everything’ and my own ‘noc-users’ contact groups into the ‘Selected’ Column. I ticked each of the four related boxes below the table.

I’ve confirmed that my ‘normal monitoring user’ appears inside of the noc-users contact group. My expectation is that all hosts in this folder will be visible in the dashboard and in Monitor → All Hosts.

When the user logs in with this configuration however, he can see the folders and hosts within Setup → Hosts → Main but Monitor → All hosts and the default (main) dashboard are both empty.

Within Setup → Hosts → Main, I see both ‘Everything’ and ‘noc-users’ contact group icons displayed on the desired folder. The host and user association with the contact group are both there and aligned.

HI Josh,

is it intentional that you are trying this with a daily build?

Cheers
Elias

2 Likes

Confirmed in 2.3.0b2, FWIW.

@joshuar, you must do either of these:

• open folder properties, also tick the “Add these groups as contacts” options in “permissions” or
  • create a rule in “assign hosts to contact groups”, setting the noc-group.

Without any of those settings, the hosts have no contact groups assigned.
Further documentation:

BR,
Marsellus W.

1 Like

The hosts are getting added to the contact group. All four of the boxes below the Available/Selected box are checked, including “Add these groups as contacts to all hosts in this folder” (see image). Also, when I look at effective parameters for any of the hosts in the folder, it shows the ‘noc-users’ contact group as being associated with it.

The fact that the contact group association is working is evidenced by the fact that the user can see the hosts when they navigate to Setup → Hosts. The hosts simply aren’t showing up anywhere else (eg., Monitor → All Hosts or in the dashboard).

I’ve also tried using a host monitoring rule. This was my original configuration when I first posted this thread. It works the hosts show as associated with ‘noc-users’ when I have that in place (I just put it back to triple check). Same end result, however. From the user’s view, Hosts appear in Setup but nowhere else.

More visuals:
Contact Group:

High level view of folder:

Effective Parameters on one of the hosts in the folder:

The user’s view
Hosts visible in Setup → Hosts → (Windows folder)…

Nothing in Monitor → Hosts…

Permissions in setup (via folder properties is not the same like contacts in active monitoring.

So some additional questions:

• Do you have open changes to be applied? Please check with an admin user. If so, activate the pending changes!
  • When you’re logged in as admin user, do you see the hosts in active monitoring (for example in the all hosts view)?
  • When logged in as admin user (and you see the hosts in all hosts view), click on one of the hosts to show the host’s services, then again on the hostname above the service table, scroll down to the bottom of the host detail view. What is shown in the host contact group and host contacts lines?

I will also test this in the current 2.3.0b3 RAW and report my findings here…

I tested this in 2.3.0b3 and was able to reproduce your findings @joshuar!

I will test 2.3.0b3 in Enterprise Edition, too, before I create an internal ticket for this issue…

1 Like

Thanks for checking into this.

Edit: Just saw your last post about being able to reproduce. Here was the info that I’d collected for posterity…

I’m the admin user. There are no pending changes and the gold/yellow ‘!’ icon is not present. I’ve been actively activating every time I update the configuration. When logged in as admin user, yes, I see the hosts in Monitor → All Hosts. All users who have the Administrator role can see the hosts. It’s only when you remove the Administrator role from an account and leave only the ‘normal monitoring user’ role checked that this problem appears.

User Role configuration:

Relevant section from host detail view. The blacked out email address is the one associated with the ‘normal monitoring user’ account.

As said I can reproduce this in latest b3 for RAW - but now tested Enterprise and that is not affected, seems to be RAW issue only.
Sorry for this situation - as written I’ll open an internal ticket for this!

BTW: it seems to be a user (object contact) issue in RAW - if you have an admin user who’s just contact for some hosts and you change the “visibility” setting in this admin user’s profile, no hosts get shown anymore. Truly, all hosts are still available in setup module because of the admin nature, but not in monitoring.

1 Like

Hi @joshuar,

this will get fixed in 2.3.0b5 with this werk: Fixed association of contacts with hosts/services/contactgroups.
Unfortunately it’s too late now to get it into 2.3.0b4, which is already in release process…

Have a nice weekend!

BR,
Marsellus W.

2 Likes