Activate pending changes : python error

v 2.1.0p2

I have a single site with about 20 servers (mostly Proxmox containers).

Recently I am unable to change any settings; I just get an error:

argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

• Icleared pending jobs and tried different changes but it seems broken.
  • updated Debian (dist-upgrade) in faint hope, but of course that did nothing.

There are other reports, but apparently no replies, am I searching wrong?

Log error is here:

2024-02-27 14:10:01,730 [40] [cmk.web.job_manager 487] http://localhost:5000/monitoring/check_mk/run_cron.py/monitoring/check_mk/run_cron.py Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/omd/sites/monitoring/lib/python3/cmk/gui/background_job.py", line 683, in do_housekeeping
    all_jobs.append((job_id, job_instances[job_id].get_status()))
  File "/omd/sites/monitoring/lib/python3/cmk/gui/background_job.py", line 473, in get_status
    status = self._jobstatus.get_status_from_file()
  File "/omd/sites/monitoring/lib/python3/cmk/gui/background_job.py", line 597, in get_status_from_file
    if "state" not in data:
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

I have tried everything I can think of and this problem has me stumped for weeks now.

Hi James,

it might be, that one of your files in ~/var/check_mk/background_jobs has invalid data and can´t be read any more.
What you can try is to move everything below that folder away to a different location and do a cmk -R afterwards.
In my test environment the folder structure is being recreated after the cron jobs ran automatically.
Do a backup / snapshot before…

And if you are really running 2.1p2 i would recommend to update to p39, there where a LOT of bugfixes in the meantime…

2 Likes

SOLVED! Thanks to some great detective work. I didn’t even need to restart.