Adjust default number of view columns site wide

Hello. I have a new client that does not like the default 3 columns in view, such as All Hosts and All services. They want to change the site-wide default for all users to 1 column instead.

I have looked in Setup > Global settings > User Interface and User Management. I did not see anything there.

I have created a new user with a unique name, signed in as the user but done nothing more, recursively grepped for all files in which this unique name shows up, changed the number of columns, and compared the files found before. None of them showed any changes, so I’m not sure where it’s storing the setting.

This client could have several dozen users, so changing this value’s default (ideal case) or programmatically updating after the fact makes sense.
Thanks

Slightly embarrassed that I didn’t see this first. I’m leaving this up here with the answer to hopefully help someone else.

My coworker informed me of this. We just have to clone and update the default views with 1 instead of 3 for that value.

@thohenstatt aren’t we getting rid of the 3-column default?

I think not in the actual version. In 2.3 it would be nice to see than.

In 2.3, the default for NEW sites is 1. Existing sites shouldn’t be impacted

1 Like

It would be good if existing sites can be configured globally to a “new” default.

Wouldnt it be wasted effort as you probably have already done so on all existing sites, if this setting is something which matters to u?

You cannot change it at the actual version. With over 150 independent sites and on every site many views, that would be a joke.

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

With 2.3, the default entries per row in built-in views changes from 3 to 1. This applies to everything, unless you have already customized the number of columns, in which case nothing will change for you :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tanja

5 Likes