Agent rules: Docker node and container, missing from settings

CMK version:
2.0.0p39 (CRE)
OS version:
Ubuntu 20.4
Error message:
NA, just missing setting entries
Output of “cmk --debug -vvn hostname”: (If it is a problem with checks or plugins)

i can no longer see “docker node and container” from the agent rules when searching for it so i am stuck

Hi @greenie

I just looked at my 2 test systems and I can say that the option is visible in 2.1 and 2.2 Checkmk.
I haven’t had the time to see if that’s the case for the CRE edition in 2.1, but it should be.

The easiest solution is to update your Checkmk Server to a supported version. The one you are using is End of life and not supported anymore.

Take a look at the official documentation that will guide you through the process:

Hope this helps!

Regards
Norm

hi there thanks for the input,

this doesnt help sadly, im using the docker hub image for the free version of checkmk which is linked in the docker install page of the checkmk guide. docker hub image has been updated 7 hours ago from time i sent this post

is the official docker image image out of date?

Edit#1:
looks like the docker hub uses: checkmk/check-mk-raw:2.0.0-latest
whereas the detailed install for docker on the checkmk site here uses: checkmk/check-mk-raw:2.1.0-latest

is there another version out there for 2.2.0? could i just edit the command to include 2.2.0?

Edit#2:
changing to version Checkmk Raw Edition 2.1.0p33 removing the temp location and deploying checkmk again still has Agent rules: Docker node and container missing from the setup nav menu

Hi @greenie,

please follow the steps on how to update Checkmk as a Docker container:

No, you have to use the correct version tag. The version you linked is for the free edition.

The container you are using is the free edition of Checkmk. Starting with 2.2 the free edition no longer exists per se. It’s now the new cloud edition (with a trial). The RAW edition is the Open Source version of Checkmk. You can read more about that here:

Can you stop your Checkmk container for a minute and test it with a fresh one? Completely new site and see if it still happens?
Please follow the Docker installation guide: Installation as a Docker container

Make sure to always have backups!

Regards
Norm

im sorry, im confused.

• the tags are not listed on the docker hub
  • im sorry i dont deal well with text walls, im have dyslexia. what does this mean?

• which version of the free version im currently on should i be able to see the docker node and container from the menu

• which is the correct install command? im after any free version allows me to monitor up to 10 seperate VMs running docker.

• looking a head, will all free models essentially be removed from this platform?

@Norm

i have deleted the image, deleted the container, removed the volume, removed the persistent data location following the tutorial id found and that you had linked.

i then pulled checkmk again using checkmk/check-mk-raw:2.1.0-latest and the docker agent is still missing from the nav bar. checkmk reads the version is Checkmk Raw Edition 2.1.0p33

Edit #2:
ive also done the same for version Checkmk Raw Edition 2.2.0p10 and still have the docker agent missing from the nav

Edit #3
to make sure there was no left overs from me previous installs i setup a fresh install of checkmk on a different vm using raw verion 2.2.0 and i still dont see docker agent from the nav menu so this error is persistent

@Norm

this section of the website mentions manually installing some kind of plugin but doesnt say whether i have to or should be doing this for the docker install.

can you advise further?

This documentation is for monitoring Docker Container. This technically has nothing to do with a Checkmk Server running as a docker container, but you could also monitor this kind too. Please keep in mind that it is possible to run Checkmk in a Docker container, but it’s not always the best solution. This is also in the documentation:

Important : Even it is possible and very easy to integrate Checkmk into a containerized infrastructure, it is not always the best solution. …

I just double-checked that, and that’s because you have the RAW edition. The Menu you are searching is only available in the commercial editions of Checkmk because of the Agent Bakery. The Agent Bakery is not part of the RAW edition, but you can still monitor Docker in the RAW edition. You just have to deploy the plugin manually. The instructions are here: Monitoring Docker

It’s not an error. It’s just an enterprise feature that you don’t have there, but it’s still possible to get the same results but with some more manual approach.

Took me a while to figure this out because I checked the wrong test system. :sweat_smile:

Regards
Norm

with the raw version can i monitor several different vms running docker with one ‘server’ checkmk instance

could you answer this question - if i were to run the free version what version would do what i would like to do.

which versions will remain supported? will the raw version be removed eventually too?

with this monitoring docker section do i have to do that within ubuntu on the machine i want to monitor or does this have to be run in the docker container?

can i just run the free version still -