Alert when high bandwidth usage on host

Hi everyone,

My version: Checkmk Raw Edition 2.2.0p20

Our company’s working hours end at 17.00 and we start working at 08.00 the next day. If there is an unexpected increase in the bandwidth of the hosts I follow during these off-duty hours, for example if it reaches 200Mbit that night, I want to create a notification to send an e-mail. But I found a guide exactly like what I was looking for.

I would be very happy if you could help me with this issue.

First, you have to define a timeperiod for “at night”:

With this time period you can now create timespecific parameters for the bandwidth rule:

1 Like

Great! Thank you very much for your detailed explanation :partying_face:
So, in this case, to whom is the alarm sent? How do you specify sending alerts to a specific email address?

To whom a notification is sent (as an email, for instance) depends on your notification rules. You may want to read about notifications here:

In the example here, I see that you are doing it for a specific host.
Setup > Services > Service monitoring rules > Network interfaces and switch ports> Edit rule: Network interfaces and switch ports
When I follow this path, I cannot specify a host, but how did you check this for a specific host?

To configure notifications, the time, method and group of recipients areI understand in this file, do we need to create a user for each person with an e-mail address to whom we will send e-mail? Isn’t this dependency difficult?

Yes, usually you do create a user for each person that uses checkmk. Otherwise you won’t know which user did what in case something was misconfigured and nobody can personalise the appearance of his/her GUI (like personal dashboards, views, and even notification rules.

If you want to send notifications to explicit (arbitrary) email addresses, you can configure that as well:

I created the rule via the hamburger menu ☰ of one of the Interface services and the menu item Parameters for this service:

This will create a rule especially for this host and this service.

When you follow the path you mentioned, then you have to fill in the fields for the host and servicename (they call it port for this service) yourself:

(The dollar sign after the 2 means “end-of-string” here because this is a regular expression and you want the rule to just apply to Interface 2 and not also to Interface 23456)

1 Like