Azure Resource Group Name Case Sensitivity

Hi!

We are in the process of configuring our CheckMK deployment to monitor our Azure estate.
Does anyone know if there is a way for CheckMK to convert the text case of Azure resource groups?
Its really annoying having a separate host for each different Azure configured case for the resource group name:

We are running CheckMK 2.1.0p11 Enterprise.
We cannot rename our Azure resource groups.

Thanks

Hi @OgiOgi

i have no experience withe the Azure resource groups but maybe you can use the ruleset “hostname translation for piggyback hosts” and convert everything to lowercase for that datasource ?

1 Like

Thanks for your response. It was worth a shot!

The rule has had an effect - It has changed the hostnames to all caps, however has not merged all the services together.

In the example the LIVERESOURCES (2 services), liveresources (4 services) and LiveResources (78 services) have become only LIVERESOURCES with 2 services.

I have looked at another monitoring system (datadog) which correctly merges the Resource Groups with different case names together. I wish CheckMK would :frowning:

So in Azure you do have three resource groups in three different cases (lower, UPPER and Camel) and you want them all merged into one Service in checkmk ?

@aeckstein - Yes, I want all the 3 resource groups (LIVERESOURCES, liveresources, LiveResources) merged so all their services are combined into a single host in CheckMK.

I need this as well. The issue is not as you might think. We do not have 3 different resource groups that are in different cases. We have 1 resource group. There is a bug in Azure where they will put resources under different capitalised versions of the same resource group. The resolution from Azure is to not make it case insensitive in outside apps like this.

Secondly, according to the MS documentation from here Resource naming restrictions - Azure Resource Manager | Microsoft Learn

Resource and resource group names are case-insensitive unless specifically noted in the valid characters column.

When using various APIs to retrieve the name for a resource or resource group, the returned value may have different casing than what you originally specified for the name. The returned value may even display different case values than what is listed in the valid characters table.

Always perform a case-insensitive comparison of names.

And for the specifics of Resource Groups

1 Like

We have the same issue running 2.1.0p5.

We are loading all resource groups based on a tag, some virtual machines are returned but others aren’t. The only thing I can see from the returned check_mk output is that the resource group may appear in lowercase and uppercase.

I have also noticed that using 2.1.0p20, the billing information isn’t returned, the agent gives an error on the output. “agent-bailout|[2, “Usage client: //?”]”, works fine in 2.1.0p5.

When using the rule “Hostname translation for piggybacked hosts”, all services of multiple hosts translated to the same hostname should appear in the host.
I tested the feature with the latest 2.1 and master.

1 Like

Thanks. The “Hostname translation for piggybacked hosts” is the solution.