Bad certs/ssl handshakes, cant get agent updater to work

I am having a cascading number of failures, in trying to configure automatic agent updates, or to even get windows hosts to not show bad certs/ssl failures.

Our checkmk website is using https. are we supposed to generate a new/different cert, to use in the config for the automatic agent updates, other than the one used for the website/checkmk server?

There are 6 prerequisites to getting automatic agent updates to work. the only one showing red, is the “Registered agents” requirement.

Once i install the agent on a windows server, add the host to the checkmk website, then run the command string to “register” that windows host on the windows host… i get
: (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(“bad handshake: Error([(‘SSL routines’, ‘’, ‘certificate verify failed’)])”)))WARN , Last update: Feb 09 2024 13:55:28, Agent plugins: 2, Local checks: 0

of course if i try to run the command string for the agent updater on the windows vm, (“C:\Program Files (x86)\checkmk\service\check_mk_agent.exe” updater register -s… etc)
it also fails with a bad handshake, etc:

Trying to import certificate from the server’s certificate chain but found no self-signed certificate or CA certificate. Aborting import.
HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘****’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /itse_2/check_mk/login.py (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(“bad handshake: Error([(‘SSL routines’, ‘’, ‘certificate verify failed’)])”)))

After 5-6 hours of trying various things i’ve given up and don’t know where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?

You have to configure the updater with the CA certificate for the webserver’s certificate.
If there are intermediate certificates in the chain between the webserver certificate and the CA root certificate then these intermediate certificates have to be configured additionally on the webserver.

2 Likes

Thank you Robert, is this CA certificate found in: Setup>General>Global Settings, under the Site Management section, “Trusted certificate authorities for SSL”,
& I would basically copy & paste the contents under the "Content of CRT/PEM File ?

It is the CA root certificate for the certificate of your webserver.
This may not be the same as the one that has been added (automatically) to the global settings.

1 Like

Maybe this helps: https://checkmk.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/pages/9471470/How-to+configure+a+certificate+chain+for+Checkmk